Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page > Yellow fever vaccination available in Chavez airport, Lima?
Notices

Yellow fever vaccination available in Chavez airport, Lima?

Jun 9th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Yellow fever vaccination available in Chavez airport, Lima?

We've heard that the yellow fever vaccinations may be obtained at Jorge Chavez International Airport in Lima at the domestic arrivals terminal first level for about $20USD vs. the nearly $200USD on offer here in the States.
Does anyone have first-hand information on this service and the operating hours of the facility that adminsters the YF vaccine? By the way, my wife and I are 59 and 60 years of age, and this will be our first time with YF vaccinations.
Thanks
Jun 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM

Two things:

1) The YF vaccine isn't necessarily recommended for someone 60 and over. There is a risk of problems. Discuss this with your MD.

2) The vaccine takes 10 days to become effective. How soon after passing through the airport will you be headed to the risk area? I ask both because you want to be protected if you get the shot, but also if someone is requiring that you get vaccinated, the dates have to work out and at least 10 days must have elapsed. You get a yellow card showing that you've been vaccinated and when.
Jun 10th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, we're aware of the risk from the vaccine for the 60 and over age group, and the 10 days needed to become effective.
Are you familiar with the facility at the airport?
Jun 10th, 2013, 01:45 PM

I can picture it in my mind, having seen it while passing through the airport previously. I can't tell you if it's still there or where exactly it is.

Search this Thread