Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page > When and where is best to get sunny weather in Ecuador and Peru?

When and where is best to get sunny weather in Ecuador and Peru?

Feb 14th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

When and where is best to get sunny weather in Ecuador and Peru?

We will be in South America from May to November and, whilst we are not especially beach people, we would like to spend a week or two under warm, sunny blue skies

I am getting conflicting/unclear information from the guidebooks as to the weather on the coast of Ecuador and Peru around this time. I appreciate that the temperature will be pretty much constant, but is there a better month for blue skies as opposed to dull overcast weather?

I am trying to put together an outline itinerary and am trying to determine when would be the best time to head for the coast. I can recall being in Lima in August and it being overcast and dull the whole time whereas further south in Valparaiso in Sept, we had great sunny weather.

Any thoughts, opinions or experiences would be much appreciated?
Feb 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM

In Peru ,September is the best time is spring season, If you are going to to the north part of the country Trujillo, Piura, lambayeque (to see Sipan).
Lima is cloudy most of the time, the humidity is around 80% and is next to the beach, but if you going to Peru in May, June, July, is the best time to go to Cuzco -Machu Picchu and the mountain area, Huaraz, Puno to see Titicaca Lake, in Arequipa to visit the Colca Canyon and the condors flying around is beautiful, the raining season is over, the sky is blue and clear but a little bit cold. Hope you enjoy my country!!!
Feb 15th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Rosanac - welcome to Fodors South America forum! Many thanks for the information it is really helpful. I now need to reconsider my travel plans and am sure I will be back with more questions, but for now, what is the weather likely to be like on the northern coast in October? We fly home from Lima in early November and i am thinking of adding on some beach time at the end of our trip.

Thanks once again
Feb 16th, 2013, 01:26 PM

In October the northern part is warm, if you go to Mancora Beach,Punta sal, are beautiful, about 26C most of the time.
Lima still cloudy and some days are sunny, the food in Lima is delicious!! enjoy

Search this Thread