Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

What to pack for August trip to Sacred Vallry and Lima?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving in a few weeks for a 12 day trip to Lima and the Sacred Valley. We wont be hiking the Inca trail. We will be rafting and doing a minor trek. Can anyone help me with a packing list? We are 2 adults, 2 kids.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM

August is wintertime, so long sleeves, pants. Something warm to put over and rain poncho. Sturdy shoes. Lots of camera memory and batteries or recharger (it should work in most lodgings but be sure it can handle dual voltage, eg 220-240). You may want to bring gifts for villages if you are trekking (ask the provider what they need).

Bring insect repellent, sunscreen, hats (the sun is stronger than you expect), hand sanitizer, immodium, money belt. I had pretty good luck this time taking one Pepto Bismol tab per day as a tourist tummy preventative. Ask your doctor about advice on Diamox for altitude sickness and a Cipro dose just in case of tummy troubles. I didn't take it but started in the Sacred Valley.

Be sure to exchange some larger bills for small amounts before you leave Lima airport. Harder to find in the SV/Cusco and you will want some coins for tips when taking photos, taxis, etc.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:30 AM

PS for you rain poncho it can be one of those disposible plastic ones. August will still be dry season.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 10:22 AM

We just returned. The nights were very cold. We wore wool hats, mittens & flannels. If you don't have warm enough clothes, you can buy nice alpaca things, especially for the kids. A long underwear shirt over a t-shirt is helpful in the mornings. A Goretex jacket with hood is helpful for wind, rain & warmth. Don't forget a flashlight or headlamp. Have fun!
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 11:03 AM

Think layers, chilly in morning, jackets off by noon, back on again before evening. Hats a must. Comfortable, sturdy walking shoes, lots of uneven terrain - cobblestones, rocks. Lots of socks, when hand washed, didn't dry so fast...

In June, we often wore our capris and sandals and looked quite the tourists when among the locals!! This is winter and they were in boots and parkas. But, we know northern winter and weren't phased. Like fball suggested, Goretex will work just fine.

Some kids in one of our tour groups had headlamps, which they had a blast using in caves on the Galapagos part of our trip. They also had cameras of their own, which kept them engaged.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 06:18 PM

My friend and I leave next Sunday for Peru. We will be in Lima, Nazca, Cuzco, Machu Picchu and Puerto Maldonada. I thought the weather would be warm in Lima and Puerto Maldonada (in the 70's or 80's). Am I mistaken?
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 06:24 PM

You are mistaken. Lima is enshrouded in fog 24/7. It was very chilly & we were surprised. Puerto Maldonado is in the jungle & will be the opposite - hot & humid. Complete opposites.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 06:39 PM

So is Puerto Maldonado the only place it will be warm and humid? As I am leaving 95 degree heat and humidity in Philadelphia, I was planning on packing more t-shirts and shorts. Should I be thinking more long sleeves and pants?
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 07:23 PM

Lima will be like Seattle. Remember, it is WINTER south of the equator.

Puerto Maldonado may feel like Philadelphia but I think that part of the jungle also gets an occasional cold snap.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!!

fball - I have been checking the weather app on my phone for Cuzco and it is high 70 and low 37 (F) does that sound about right? Also we need to bring our winter jackets? I was thinking of lots of fleece and a wind breaker or rainjacket. Those jackets (all from Lands End) take up so much room in the luggage!

wildebeestus - how did the kids do on tour tour with the altitude? I am worried about mine.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Layers much better, especially during the day when you are doing your little walks you may not want anything other than a light rain jacket.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 07:07 AM

Puerto Maldonado is the only place it will be hot & humid. The temperatures you mentioned for Cuzco are about right. We never wore shorts anywhere. In Cusco, we wore short sleeved shirts, carried a jacket & warm shirt in our packs. By afternoon, it was warm & by 4:00 it was chilly again. If you are in the jungle, you want your legs covered. We wore heavy socks, hiking boots or high rain boots the whole time. We didn't even wear running shoes as there were snakes, ants, & spiders (all causing nasty bites or stings). We wore long sleeved shirts almost all of the time in Manu. In Cusco, the cobblestone streets make walking difficult so I wore hiking boots almost always.

The trek will be cold. I wouldn't bring a heavy winter coat but we did take light weight fleece jackets & wore them under our Goretex. MLGB is correct - you will want to have layers. The sun & altitude can be intense in the Sacred Valley so hats & sunglasses are very helpful. Think about being in the mountains. It's like being in the Rockies or Sierras, the weather can change very fast & the mountains create their own weather systems. The morning we were arrived in Machu Pichu, it had been raining for hours & was very chilly. By afternoon, it was warm & sunny. If you didn't have a good raincoat, you would have spent the day drenched & miserable.

Thanks, mlgb, for the recommendation to stay at Rumipunku. We LOVED it & spent 5 nights there. They couldn't have been nicer.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

When you say hats - are we talking baseball or winter??
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 05:55 AM

Both. You can buy warm alpaca hats for your kids there. We all bought them. My daughters wore them every day we were in the Sacred Valley. My older daughter did not pack enough layers & was cold the entire time. If she had had a light weight long underwear shirt, she would have been much happier.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:36 AM

Glad you had a good time fball. I agree about the sunglasses and hats...I don't own sunglasses and really wished I had brought them on that trip.