Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

What to do with 10 days in South America???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My wife and I are agressive travelers with limited time to spend in South America (10 days there / 12 including travel to and from USA). We are interested in seeing big sites, such as Machu Picchu and Iguazu Falls, but don't know if this is realistic. We would also be interested in visiting Buenos Aires. Can anyone recommend a trip that includes MP, IF & BA in 10-11 days?
We are not set on anything, so suggestions for other places to visit would also be appreciated.
Thanks so much!

TG83
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With just 10 days,even as "aggressive travelers" you would be pushing it to visit more the. Much as I love Argentina, with that amount of time I would be inclined to stick with Peru where the major sites are more concentrated geographically and getting from one to another would be less problematic. Air travel is still a bit hit and miss in SA and delays getting to/from Lima/Cusco are not unknown. You also need to factor in a day or two for acclimatization to the altitude. With just 10 days my choice for a whirlwind trip would be to fly to Cusco and transfer straight to ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley. Explore the valley for a day or two before getting the train to Aquas Calientes for an overnight and visit to Macchu Picchu. Return by train to Cusco for a day or so before getting the Inka Express to Puno for a day out on Lake Titicaca The Inka Express is a great journey across the altiplano with lots to see and many stops along the way.

From Puno you could then fly to Arequipa and spend a day or two there before returning to Lima for you flight home. It may even be possible to squeeze in a trip to the Colca canyon.

Some more info and photos of these places can be found on our blog,

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...hai/1/tpod.htm

Entries 55 on cover Peru