Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   What To Do In BA Until Our Midnight Flight After Checking Out? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/what-to-do-in-ba-until-our-midnight-flight-after-checking-out-818185/)

condu Dec 18th, 2009 01:33 PM

What To Do In BA Until Our Midnight Flight After Checking Out?

“ What To Do In BA Until Our Midnight Flight After Checking Out? ”

This is a problem many travelers in BA encounter.

We have to check out of our apartment many, many hours before our midnight flight leaves for home. Unlike, travelers that booked hotels, there is not a storage place for keeping our luggage, safe.

What can we do to entertain ourselves (before heading to the airport) while dragging luggage about?

avrooster Dec 18th, 2009 01:55 PM

How about a late checkout from your apartment?

not_enuf_vaca Dec 18th, 2009 02:00 PM

Maybe store it at the train station until you are ready to go?

2) Just like Ezeiza International airport, fares of luggage storage at Retiro bus station are $3.00 per bulk per day.

condu Dec 18th, 2009 02:38 PM

avrooster:
I just contacted the listing agent. We will see how it goes.

not_enuf_vaca:
Good idea. But, we don't want to be roaring back & forth to the train station before heading to the airport.

avrooster Dec 19th, 2009 02:37 AM

Your late check-out, if available, may or may not be complimentary. Don't assume it will be and you won't be disappointed.

HappyTrvlr Dec 19th, 2009 06:30 AM

Check your bags at a nearby hotel with the bellman, giving him a good tip. We have done this when stuck in a position like yours although not in Buenos aires.

avrooster Dec 19th, 2009 07:18 AM

I most certainly would never stay in a hotel which allows its staff to take in deposit luggage which doesn't belong to a known guest.

condu Dec 19th, 2009 08:17 AM

The listing agent emailed this morning to say check out is at 10am. Also, that we will have to make any further arrangements with our landlord when we arrive in BA.

avrooster Dec 19th, 2009 08:23 AM

May I ask who is your "listing agent", condu?

I feel they should take care of that kind of thing, in order to properly earn their fee.

condu Dec 19th, 2009 03:42 PM

avrooster:

We booked with "Housing Solutions" which seems to be another name for ByT Argentina Travel & Housing. I have not had an answer back from the listing agent, today. But, it is Saturday so, she may not be in.

The "Housing Solutions" general conditions states: "Conscious of typical arrival flight times, Housing Solutions offers a convenient early check in times and late check out times with no additional cost.
Check out time can be done as late as 06:00pm with no charges for late check out."

But, we are now being told that our rental contract states check out is at 10am. BTW, a contract that we have never seen & is meant to signed upon our arrival at the apartment. Also, she said that we will have to make any further arrangements with our landlord when we arrive in BA.

I find this all of this misleading at worst, ambiguous at best.

Hopefully, she will get back to us, Monday & clarify this problem. We do not want to find ourselves & our luggage on the street at 10:00AM while waiting for a midnight flight. (Many explanation points.) :)

WillTravel Dec 20th, 2009 01:35 AM

I would book a bed at a hostel. They will store your luggage, and if you want to use the facilities, including computers, or take a shower, or maybe even lie down, you can do that.

avrooster Dec 20th, 2009 03:42 AM

Condu: I suggest you call 54114821−6057 first thing tomorrow and tell this lady you want this arranged NOW, not when you get here.

If she again says "talk to the owner", tell her "what are we paying you for?" and quote those "general conditions" to her.

At worst, get the owner's name and phone number from her.

On the other hand, your experience should help forum readers understand that this kind of thing should be settled BEFORE paying even one cent. Multiple exclamation marks. LOL!!!

Is there a way to see if the apartment you rented is, so far, free of tenants after you leave?

I stand ready to help from here in any way I can. Don't be shy about asking me.

Have a great time in our town.

condu Dec 20th, 2009 07:58 AM

Avrooster:

Thank you for offer of help.

At this time, the apartment is shown to have no tenants coming in after our departure. This is the name of listing agent representing ByT Argentina is Laura Urizio (54-11) 4876 5000

Is this telephone number 54114821−6057, the phone number for the ByT Argentina office? I doubt that Laura would be there, Sunday.

We have only, put a small deposit down on the rent. The rest of the payment is required "in cash" in arrival.

If, I do not get an answer to my inquiry Monday morning, I will definitely be giving her a call.

avrooster Dec 20th, 2009 08:15 AM

I got that phone number from the lower part of their "general conditions", condu. Obviously, Laura Urizio most likely is not in her office today. I suggested calling her tomorrow.

islebethere Dec 20th, 2009 04:01 PM

Once when we faced a similar situation in Rio, we booked a full-day bus-boat tour to some islands. We ended up enjoying the tour much more than we thought we would. However, we were staying at a hotel and were able to store our bags there. A plus was that on the last island, a shower was available so that you could wash off the sea water from swimming. I feel much more comfortable when I've taken a shower before an overnight flight.

A full-day tour might do the trick, especially if there's room in the bus/SUV for your bags. It would keep you busy until the last minute.

condu Dec 21st, 2009 09:25 AM

All is well that ends well...

I received the following note from my listing agent, this morning.

"I just spoke to the owner and she said that it won't be a problem to have a late check out. Should an emergency arise and the owner needs to have the apartment vacant that morning because she has guests coming in the next day, the owner will let you leave the luggage in the apartment, however, as of right now, it will not be a problem for you to stay until the afternoon of February 15th."

avrooster Dec 21st, 2009 10:29 AM

Great!

But wouldn´t it be better to pay a little more and be assured you can stay until 8 PM?

condu Dec 21st, 2009 10:34 AM

We will discuss this with the owner when we arrive. If, the apartment is not rented for the following day, I think that what you suggested be arranged.