Notices

What to do for a morning in Quito?

Aug 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

What to do for a morning in Quito?

My husband and I have a free morning in Quito before starting a week-long Galapagos trip. The first thing our guided trip does is an afternoon walking tour of Quito which I'm sure will hit all of the biggest sights. Suggestions on what we could do that morning that may be a bit more off-the-beaten-path but only take a few hours? Thanks!
Aug 13th, 2012, 05:19 AM

Unless you're used to altitude, you'll want to take it easy ... especially if you're arriving the night before, so don't try to pack in too much in to your day.

You could take a taxi up to El Panecillo to see the views (unless your tour goes there; most don't). Also, most guided tours don't go inside the most of the churches in the Colonial City. If you can find out which ones your tour is going to miss, you could easily visit some of the others on your own. (We did the basilica and cathedral on our our own.) The Guayasamin Museum and Capilla del Hombre would be another option (not in the Colonial City), but the Capilla is closed on Mondays.

I've posted about our pre-Galapagos stay and have just started posting about the Galapagos in my blog if you want to take a look. Everything is in the July 2012 archive in the sidebar ... http://2totravel.blogspot.com.

Search this Thread