Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

What route to take instead of the Inka Trail?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't able to get a permit to hike the inka Trail. Now i want to know where to go hiking in the mountains of Cusco. does anyone have any recommendations?
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Go to:

www.andeantravelweb.com

Click on "Peru." Then go down to the section "Trekking in Peru." You'll see a list of alternative treks that are offered in the region. (Ignore the two that say "Huaraz"; that's in northern Peru.) They give you a good description and a sample itinerary, as well as companies offering the trek. There are various Lares treks that are known for passing through villages and give you a flavor of local culture that you don't get with the others (Salkantay, Ausangate, Choquequirao). The various Lares treks range from "moderate" to "difficult."
Old May 11th, 2011, 12:01 AM

In 2008 we did the Lares to Ollantaytambo trek -about 40kms over 3 days 2nights. Absolutely the highlight of our time in Peru. There are longer variations, including including I think one which takes you down into the rainforest. Click on the following link to our blog with lots of deatil and photos:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...4700/tpod.html

If you move on to the next blog entry , my wife has written a bio of our guide Miguel.
Alternatively, the same info can be found on my trip report here by clicking on my scren name (same info - no photos).

In addition to the excellent andean travelweb Jeff has suggested check www.saexplorers.org.
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:05 AM

incalandadventures.com

Salkantay(Savage Mountain) Trek with Flavio

from $300 was awesome last year still goest to MP

inkajungletrail.com can be done cheaply even self-guided

it personally from $50 in the past still goest to MP

Careful with all the others they do not go to MP.

Lots of scammers on line marketing Lares avoid

does not go to MP.
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:09 AM

http://www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/...trek_peru.html

Best for me if you do not care about going to MP

But if you are going to MP always best to try to come

in through the Sun Gate it is amazing

As opposed to training in with massive tourist hordes

like with Lares.
Old May 12th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

thank you guys for the info, does anyone know if two people can do this safely and without a tour company? maybe a tour guide only?
Old May 12th, 2011, 09:22 PM

You don't have to use a big tour company. There are lots of independent guides in Cusco - some good and some bad. Ours was good and it was just the two of us hiking plus the guide and two porters and a pony. These are essential to carry the kit, food etc. That said , I know that after he left us, Miguel went on a week long trip from Lares with two Americans carring all their own kit (personally, not my idea of a relaxing week but, hey, each to their own!)The only possible safety issue I can see is in choosing a rogue guide, but get some recommnedations and this won't be a problem. The advantage of doing it this way is that you can go at your own pace, interact more with the local communities. We saw only two other hikers on our trip. The cost wasa little more than with tour company but not a lot and well worth it.
Old May 13th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

hey Crellston, Great pictures!! i think i would like to do something like that. i have a question though, is this Miguel the tour guide from Cusco Guides, someone with the same name was just featured in an article on the UK's Sunday Times.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...icle609904.ece
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:54 PM

Hi greenr - Glad you liked the photos. I can't open the link to the Sunday Times article s I am not a subcriber so I can't really tell whether they are one and the same. I usually buy the Times on a Sunday but don't recall seeing this article.

Our guide's full name is Miguel Jovens and we met up with him at the South America Explorers clubhouse in Cusco -www.saexplorers.org . This is a non profit org which provides great info, facilities and clubhouse facilitities at various places in SA. Worth the $40 membership for the discounts alone if visiting for a longish time. Miguel operates indepnedently and although based at SA Explorers, is not emplyed by them or any other group (at least that was the case in 2008)
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

well, we couldn't book our Inka trail tour due to some inconvenience in our vacation schedule and by the time we finally made our minds up the Inka trail was all booked up. Then my wife forwarded me the article above and the thought of hiking on our own or with only a tour guide came to our mind when we read this article. We have some experience hiking on our own and carrying our own supplies, we hiked for 4 days in the rocky mountains of Colorado and in Yosemite last year. The Name of the Guide writing for the Sunday times on alternative hikes is Miguel Angel Gongora from an organization called http://www.cuscoguides.com/ingles/miguel-angel.htm Obviously is a different Miguel, he is all booked up for the month of June and now we are considering whether to join one of his groups or hire your MIguel and go on our own. We will email SA explorers to get his email, or maybe you have it with you and you can share it with us. we would deeply appreciate it. thanks for your help everyone.
Old May 14th, 2011, 11:33 PM

The contact details I have for Miguel are:

Miguel Jove
Tour Guide
Telephone:
(51 84) 984792227//084-245484
Email:
[email protected] - [email protected]
PO BOX
C/O South American Explorers
Apartado 500
CUSCO-PERU

I would also try emailing SA Explorers as for some reason email in Peru is very much a hit and miss affair. Miguel is good at responding but if he is on a tour then it may take a few days. Good luck!