Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

What is the Electricity Voltage and Wall Pin in Peru?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are wondering what we should be prepared for in Peru (Cusco, Lima, etc) for charging MP3 player, camera battery charger, and hair dryer. Do I need a voltage converter and Pin converter? Just voltage converter? Nothing?
Also, when arriving in the airport around 12 midnight in Lima, is there a place to exchange currency? Thanks.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 05:36 AM

All outlets are 220 volts, 60 cycles AC with two-prong outlets that accept both flat and round prongs. Depending on where you are from you may need a converter voltage. I am from teh Uk where we run on 240 volts so I didn't need one). If you take a laptop (or any expensive equipment) I would suggest a surge protector.

We also arrived at midnight in Lima but didn't bother with currency exchange until the next day and just used small denoniation USD for taxi.
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I did not mention that we are from the USA. Thanks for the info. If Peru has two types of outlets, one round type and one flat. I wonder if the flat is compatible with the USA flat plugs?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 07:19 AM

The flat type will take your US plugs, but be sure your chargers are rated for the higher voltage. Most are but a few are not. If they are rated for up to 240 then you should be okay, but on the other hand, a converter is cheap insurance for expensive electronics!
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 07:17 PM

You will definitelly need a travel converter. Peru uses 220 volts, and many of the places you will visit have flat or rounded outlets.
You can exchange money at the airport in Lima. Exchange rate in Peru rightnow is US$1 - 2.77 soles at the airport in Lima should be 2.70 soles. So if you find a better rate at your city airport, better do it there.