Notices

What is homestay like in Lake Titicaca

Old Dec 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is homestay like in Lake Titicaca

My husband and I are interested in visiting Lake Titicaca. Most of the multi-day tour options include 1 day at a homestay. I was wondering if anyone have any experience with a homestay and what their experience is like. Are there basic ammenities- ie running water, toilets. What is the condition of the home?

Any details would be great. Thanks!
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM

You experience will depend a large part on the host family that you get, and I guess also what homestay program you choose.

When I stayed overnight on LT last year, the guest home that I stayed at had no running water. The toilet was located at an outhouse with exposed cutout for window. It got really cold at night and early in the morning so I was freezing making a quick early morning bathroom run. ( For flushing you have to take some water from a bucket nearby and pour it into the septic tank and then flush. I really didn't know how that was supposed to work since it didn't seem like it flushed anything. Thank God I didn't really have to use it while I was on the island ) Dinner was a small plate of plain rice, some fried potatoes and trouts caught from the lake and some cocoa tea. Don't expect anything remotely fancy at all.

The home that I stayed at was detached from the main house. It was just 4 walls, a window, a door, a roof and three beds inside. The main home also had minimal electricity. I think what little they had was from solar so we were eating dinner almost in the dark.

It was an ok experience. The family didn't speak English and I didn't speak Spanish or Quechen (?), so it felt odd sometimes. For example, I wanted to go and explore the island on my own since it's small enough, but I couldn't communite that to the host, so I ended up hanging aroun the house a lot with not much to do really. They were very nice people though, and the mom was very happy when I brought her some fruits from the mainland.
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 02:40 AM

www.titicacaperu.com

www.edgaradventures.com

good homestay info..

Did mine myself and saved took the fast boat to Taquile

and amazing place UNESCO island then shopped around

for the nicest place there are all different qualities

best negotiated on site for best price and locals get

all the money not the middlemen best for the local economy.

The cheapest are as #1 describes very basic...

It is considered polite to present a gift of some sort

For me hard candy neat pencils baseball cheap team sports caps

packed well and were a big hit....

Happy Hunting,
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 03:26 AM

Our homestay on Amantani was one of the highlights of our visit to MP and area. The conditions were as Axel2DP described - simple plumbing, simple accommodation and food but perhaps the fact our guide was with it made communications easy and the experience very rich. Also when home stay guests are on the island there is a party at 8pm at the community centre - we had a blast! Juana and Felix and family came with us and we danced like fools.

As mentioned we did take gifts (they really appreciated batteries and flashlights as they don't have solar power). Here are some pics to give you an idea of the experience

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l...azing_nig.html

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l...lake_titi.html
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM

At my homestay, the house was huge because it was for a family of 6, however 3 of the children were studying and therefore no longer living on the island. The daughter spoke very basic english & spanish. The parents spoke none at all.
Meals were a soup with quinoa, with potato and meat and cheese.
In the evening, they dressed us up in traditional clothes and took us to the local 'disco'. At the 'disco', the local boy band played traditional Peruvian music, and we danced the rest of the night.
There was no flushing toilets and we scooped water from a bucket to 'flush'.
We were given a bowl of warm water at night and in the morning to wash up. Bring hand sanitizer and toilet paper.
Fun experience, but very basic ammenties.