Visiting MP the afternoon of Dec. 10, 2019

Nov 26th, 2019, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Visiting MP the afternoon of Dec. 10, 2019

We will be arriving at the Aqua Calientes train station at 1:05 pm Dec. 10. Will there be time for us to go to a nearby hotel to leave our luggage, catch a bus and tour some of MP before the sun sets at 5:15?

Is there a bus on which you can make advance reservations and be assured of a seat without standing in line?

Also, I understand that we should buy tickets in advance. Must we be at MP at the appointed time OR may it be anytime after the time of the ticket?

Rain is forecast -- has anyone toured the sight in downpour rains?

THANKS so much!
Nov 26th, 2019, 07:05 PM
kja

I believe that there have been some changes to these logistics since I was there (May of 2018), but FWIW -

Originally Posted by SanDiegoTraveller View Post
We will be arriving at the Aqua Calientes train station at 1:05 pm Dec. 10. Will there be time for us to go to a nearby hotel to leave our luggage, catch a bus and tour some of MP before the sun sets at 5:15?
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that you would have some, but not much, time on site. You would need to get out of the train station (which would seem easy, but involves maneuvering through what can be a very, very crowded market), then get to your hotel, then whatever time the hotel requires for check-in / luggage storage, then to the place from which you can get your ticket for the bus and then in line for the bus itself. Then you've got about a 1/2 hour bus ride, then a line to get into the site....

Is there a bus on which you can make advance reservations and be assured of a seat without standing in line?
Not that I know of. Doesn't mean there aren't, but if there are, they would be a relatively new thing.

Also, I understand that we should buy tickets in advance. Must we be at MP at the appointed time OR may it be anytime after the time of the ticket?
Again, when I was there, one could enter at any time covered by the ticket, so if you had a morning ticket, you could go anytime in the morning, but not the afternoon. And showing the ticket was required to get the bus ticket. I have no idea how crowded Machu Picchu would be on Dec. 10, but for a trip in May, I would not have imagined arriving without an advance reservation -- and those who did arrive without one when I was there were turned away.

Rain is forecast -- has anyone toured the sight in downpour rains?
I would think it too early for a reliable forecast, and it was not raining when I was there, but I would say that if rain was expected when I planned to visit, I would make absolutely certain that I was wearing appropriate footwear (actually, I would do that in any case!) and I would work with a guide to make sure I didn't venture onto a path that would become precarious if wet. Even dry, some of those paths are incredibly slippery!

Good luck!
Nov 30th, 2019, 10:11 AM

Kja has provided some good advice. As far as I recall it is a 30-45min bus ride to the entrance so as long as you don’t spend too much time dumping your bags at the hotel, you should have plenty of time to get up there for the sunset. I haven’t been under the new regime, but I don’t think it is possible to make advance reservation for the bus but at that time of year it shouldn’t be too busy.

Totally agree with KJAs comments re footwear. If it does rain the last thing you want on those steps is to be sliding around! Likewise, Re the weather, if is going to rain, it is going to rain. Nothing you can do except be prepared.

Sunset is more predictable, but bear in mind that in the mountains, the sun may disappear behind peaks before its allotted time ( I have only ever been for dawn and, even getting the first bus, missed the actual sunrise!)
Nov 30th, 2019, 11:21 AM

No one can predict the weather. I went once in January and it rained heavily in the afternoon, not the morning. At the time one could buy a full day ticket, so I just left.

Not sure of the luggage situation. Apparently the storage facility at the MP train station closes at 1pm for a lunch break! If you have booked a hotel in Aguas Calientes I wonder if your hotel has some kind of porter service from the train?