Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

What did you wish you knew about Argentina before you traveled there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travellers who have been to Argentina before!
What did you wish you knew about the country before you traveled there?

What advice, tips, knowledge, would you share with others that you wish someone would have shared with you prior to your trip?

Gracias!
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 05:01 PM

I wish I had not spent any extra days in BA after my Cape Horn cruise. I should have gone to Iguasu instead, even though the flights were $500.

The food isn't very interesting, and it was no bargain.

In BA, people don't pick up after their dogs and the sidewalks are a mess, so walking isn't especially nice in many parts.

Worth seeing....the penguin colony in Punta Tombo, Ushuaia and the Beagle Channel, and Tierra del Fuego NP.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 07:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I cant say much about the country surprsied me.

I couldn't disagree more with the above post. I've been to BA several times and find it an exciting and fun city -- lovely parks and nice museums. Friendly, helpful people, good food esp the Italian. Another city worth visiting is Valparaiso. Santiago didn't do much for me. Patagonia is stunning.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 11:40 PM

I really enjoyed the mot( or so we stayed in Buenos Aires. Great exploring the various Barrois which are all very different.

Loved the food and ate at some fantastic restaurants in all price ranges. Wish I had spent a title more time seekin* out the smaller local places though. And really wish I had discovered grilled provolone a LOT earlier !

Didn’t enjoy Mendoza that much and have left that area out on subsequent visits.

Iguazu is of course amazing as is the NW of Argentina around Salta Juy Juy etc. Have visited three time now An would still be happy to return.

I wish we had ventured further south into Patagonia. So far have only made it to Bariloche (not impressed) San Martin de Los Andes and the Seven lakes area ( which we loved!).

Regret not carrying further south to Ushuaia etc. if only to complete my ambition to travel te complete length of Ruta 40!

Peninsula Valdes is amazing and possibly one of the best areas in the world to see whales up close.

Buses are a superb way of getting around the country, air travel can be a PITA!

One major hassle has always been the issue of money. Very high inflation makes it an expensive country to visit in comparison with the rest of the continent.

Accessing cash fro ATMs has always proved challenging i.e. they have very high fees, low max withdrawals and often don’t work. Many places don’t or won’t take cards.

Very different from the rest of South America.
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 05:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I thought Bariloche itself boring. The surrounding area is ok. Much preferred San Martin de Los Andes. Driving around the NW has some gorgeous scenery and the wines are good. Cachi & Cafayate are worth exploring. Iguazú Falls is spectacular. Trekking on Perito Moreno is spectacular.
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 01:36 PM

That dinner time starts about 8-8:30 PM

It is hard to find Coffee (Americano style) since they drink something else called mate.
Old Dec 23rd, 2017, 04:37 AM

We went to BA for a vacation ... a few months later we moved there to live .. we liked it , I guess you could say.
The food was not outstanding, although generally clean and fresh, flavor is not a big factor in a lot of cooking .. bland is a good word for it.
The People of BA make it fabulous .. the music isn't bad either : )
And riding in a taxi through traffic with fabulous music playing and the driver singing along in a fabulous voice ... well, who wouldn't like it ?

We lived there for 7 years, we came back to the US for personal reasons, not because we actually wanted to.
If my husband had not suddenly died, we were going to move back ...

I (L) Buenos Aires ~