Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Visa Question for the Argentina side of Iguazu (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/visa-question-for-the-argentina-side-of-iguazu-949410/)

Atticus10 Sep 5th, 2012 10:55 AM

Visa Question for the Argentina side of Iguazu

I would be visiting the iguazu falls on the brazil side in October. Having traveled all the way out there, I would also like to visit the Argentinean side of the falls which people say is more impressive. My question is I am a Filipino and as far as I know we need visas to enter Argentina. Is it possible to get a visa from the border? what is the process of this? Am I really missing a lot if I don't get a chance to visit the Argentinean side?

crellston Sep 5th, 2012 11:31 PM

We crossed that border a couple of times in 2008 but as UK citizens we did not need a visa for either country. In fact we didn't even get off the bus on one of the occasions. Other nationalities such as Americans and Australians where doing the same. I am not suggesting that you break the law but the bus drivers were saying to passengers there is no need if you are coming back the same day. How true that was I do not know but plenty of people were doing it without incident. We did stop on one occasion just to get a Brazilian stamp and there were other people paying for there visas there and then but I belive it is very expensive for some countries (i.e. $100 +).

The two side of the falls are quite different. Argentina is all about getting up close to the water whereas the Brazilian side is more panoramic. Both are wonderful and it seems a shame to travel all that way and not see both sides. Some photos of both side from our time there are on our blog:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...0400/tpod.html

Huentetu Sep 6th, 2012 02:09 AM

If you are asking if it is worth getting the visa (and I don't know how much that costs or what is involved), then it probably is worth it to be able to see both sides of the falls as they are quite different.

If you are asking if it would be possible to cross the border without the required visa, only the authorities involved could answer that. Americans and Australians don't need a visa to enter Argentina and don't pay the reciprocity fee at land borders, so they can cross over without any issues or extra cost. But you are talking about a nationality which needs a full, previously approved visa to enter Argentina. The only place you will get a reliable answer is from the Argentine consulate in Foz de Iguazú.

Atticus10 Sep 6th, 2012 12:44 PM

Im not asking if it is possible to cross the border without the required visa (though a few people had already suggested that it is possible if i will stay for only 1 day) what im asking is if it is possible to acquire visa in the border itself. I've been trying to contact the Argentina embassy here in Saudi Arabia but no luck still.

Huentetu Sep 6th, 2012 02:15 PM

You may find that the information you get from the embassy is not up to date. Consulates around the world, not just Argentine ones, are sometimes not familiar with things on the ground. So if you get a no from them, do still ask when you are in Foz. I hope you are successful and enjoy your trip.

Graziella5b Sep 17th, 2012 09:00 PM

I think Atticus got it right. in my experience going only for a day in a taxi offered no problem but it is hard to give assurances of what will be asked, to you, if you plan to get a tour , why not phoning directly before going
To the bus company. theft are locals and most likely will give an accurate reply.

Graziella5b Sep 17th, 2012 09:01 PM

I mean the tour or bus company they are locals......

buzzlightyear182 Jan 2nd, 2014 07:16 AM

Hi Atticus! I'm a Filipino as well here in Manila and I came upon your post researching about the same problem. I plan to go backpacking from Rio and around South America, then exit to US and back to Philippines. Could you please share your experience? Were you able to get an Argentinian visa? I would really love to go to Patagonia.
I have a couple more questions, is it possible to get your email or how do I send a direct message?
Thanks! :)
~Jane

Huentetu Jan 2nd, 2014 07:29 AM

If you need a full visa, as some nationalities do, applied for at an Argentine consulate in your home country, then you will not be able to get it at the border. The day crossings people have described were people from countries which required a reciprocity fee. The rules for those changed since this thread was started, but it may still be possible for those nationalities to cross for the day without it. But someone who needs a full visa is different.