Perito Moreno Glacier ruptures

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who have visited or will be visiting Perito Moreno Glacier - there was a complete rupture on March 4 which had not happened since 2008. See links below for some nice photos and description.

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...all-since-2008

http://english.people.com.cn/102774/7747897.html

I'm heading back again in Oct. and the walkway views will look different from my last visit - can't wait!
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 09:43 PM

Hi Colibri

How was the weather in October in el Calafate?

I would love to do the area as well as el Chalton and T de P
Park, when I am in Argentina in October, but not sure about the weather

I would love to hear your point of view
Thanks
Sandy
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Sandy - I was there Oct. 1st - 4th and we had fantastic weather, very lucky. One morning was overcast, but cleared up by noon while the other days were crystal blue skies and sunny. It was chilly, of course, but I mostly wore just a light-weight fleece jacket in the daytime overtop turtleneck and and added another jacket at night or early morning.

We had one night of very high winds, but it settled down by morning, no rain or snow at all. I would say daytime temps were in the upper 30's/lower 40's when overcast and upper 40's when sunny.

I'm going back again this year Oct. 1 - 6 and adding in El Chalten for two nights, in addition to Calafate for three.

Last year three of us shared a triple room at Hosteria Hainen and loved it. The manager, Juan, was extremely helpful in sending tour info and pricing (very hard to find online) and booked everything for us.

Do note that the Argentine gov't allowed the domestic airlines to raise their fares in mid-Feb. The fare to Calafate rose by about 40% so it is an expensive destination - but worth it!
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Hi colibri

We will probably do a similar trip to the north

How much time did you spend in BA Iguazu and Salta?

Was it enough, or did you feel like you were rushed?

Thanks

Sandy
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Sandy - we spent 2 nights in Iguazu and felt that was plenty. We did not go to the Brazilian side since we did not want to pay that much for the visas for a daytrip only. I was glad we stayed 2 nights since our early AM LAN flight was canceled, sat in AEP most of the day and didn't arrive IGR until early evening. So, really we only had the one full day there.

This was my second trip to both Iguazu and BA - stayed a total of 5 nights in BA which is plenty for me, but it was mainly stopovers for domestic connections, day for Feria de Mataderos, some museums, etc. I'm much more interested in nature, so I limit my time in the city.

I only spent 4 nights in Salta, not enough time for the region, but we saw a lot - Purmamarca, Humahuaca, Cafayate, San Antonio de los Cobres, Tastil, Tilcara. We did not take the Train to the Clouds after reading so many negative reviews on the high cost and long day. We drove up to San Antonio and passed the train several times - long day, but very interesting.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 09:09 AM

Hi Colibri

I think that we will do BsAs Iguazu and the Salta region this trip
I like to see things in excruciating detail, whether it is a museum or a canyon and do not want to rush

so I actually have rented an apartment in BA in Palermo Alto and will start there
I will spend 2 or 3 nights in Iguazu (first visit) and 8-10 nights in Salta
Then back to BA and then home

Thanks for your input

Sandy
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Make sure to visit some of the peñas in Salta for a fun evening - dinner and folkloric dancers and singers. There are loads of them on Balcarce St. and you can move from one to another.

I loved the Indian market in Purmamarca - great little town with such stunning views of the hills.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to add at Iguazu, you should take the zodiac boat ride to the base of the falls. You'll get absolutely soaked, but it's a blast!

In town we also went to Three Frontiers where you have a beautiful view of two rivers meeting and the three countries, a few nice little shops there, too. We also enjoyed a guided visit to an animal rescue/rehab center called Guira Oga which was located right next door to our hotel. We had a morning to kill before our flight back and this was a great way to spend it - saw howler monkeys running in the trees, plus learned a lot about the animals they have rescued and are treating.

I love Jardin de los Picaflores, a small private hummingbird garden in Puerto Iguazu and have visited there both trips.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM

Thanks for all the great info Colibri

Sandy