Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Vaya Adventures (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/vaya-adventures-978442/)

mpkp May 19th, 2013 05:32 PM

Vaya Adventures

I would like some feedback, if any on this travel agency. We are considering going to Galapagos and Machu Picchu and working with them.

Thank you

gale_waldron_3 May 21st, 2013 11:56 AM

I have traveled with VAYA to Galapagos, Guatemala/Belize and, most recently, Peru. Their trip planners are excellent, their guides are smart, helpful and personable, and their trips are true adventures! I recommend them without hesitation. In fact, I would go anywhere with VAYA. They are THE BEST!
Gale Waldron

thursdaysd May 21st, 2013 02:12 PM

Hmmm, new poster, treat with caution.

avrooster May 21st, 2013 02:19 PM

Welcome to the Fodor's South America forum, Gale!

Any trip reports from you anywhere, Gale?

mpkp May 22nd, 2013 06:27 AM

thursdayd

that really wasn't nice. I am not a new poster -- just haven't been around for a while. And I have never been on the SA forum because I have not gone there yet. Just because you don't know who someone is doesn't mean you should try warning everyone about them. Everyone has a first time.

As for Vaya -- I talked with them and a couple of others. I do want to use an agent for SA but have had a hard time finding much feedback so I asked.

thursdaysd May 22nd, 2013 06:54 AM

mpkp - that was directed more at gale than at you. And while everyone has a first time, as the instructor for the eBay class I just took explained, they are regarded with caution until they develop a track record.

Any special reason you want an agent? I did two months in SA on my own last fall without difficulty.

avrooster May 22nd, 2013 08:12 AM

mpkp: we know you are a great frequent poster and we are happy you are planning to come to South America for the first time.

thursdaysd's comment was clearly meant for Gale, not for you.

Gale seems to have become a forum member just to deliver an abnormally enthusiastic comment about Vaya.

We are always wary of such comments.

Unfortunately, I'm not qualified to answer your question about Vaya. Don't you want to come to Argentina instead?

Have a great time in South America.

gale_waldron_3 May 24th, 2013 05:57 PM

Gale here. Sorry my comments raised red flags. I am an enthusiastic traveler who appreciates a company like Vaya. I hope you get to know them also and see for yourself.

mlgb May 27th, 2013 05:13 PM

Vaya is a newish internet travel agency based in the US. They seem to be good at self-promotion hence the suspicion when a brand new poster we have never heard from before (Gale) pops up out of nowhere.

Have you looked through the Peru trip reports? You will find recommendations for a number of excellent Peruvian guides (such as Percy Salas).

And a lot of us haven't had any issues with booking our own airfares, hotels, and then taking day tours arranged via hotels or on the ground.

vayaadventures Dec 5th, 2014 12:17 PM

Hi,
My name is Jim Lutz. I'm the owner of Vaya Adventures and I just wanted to add a comment here. Gale Waldron, who gave the initial reply to the poster's question, is a real client of ours who has done several trips with us. We do ask our former travelers if they would be willing to do us a favor and fill out online reviews where people inquire about our company. I think that's a very standard practice these days and while I appreciate skepticism towards online reviews, Gale is an actual independent traveler (not a relative or friend of someone in the company) and received nothing from us in return for writing this answer. Also I just wanted to make a friendly clarification to one poster's comment that we're "newish." We've been around for 11 years, have an excellent reputation in the industry, and are very active in conservation efforts, particularly in the Galapagos Islands. I'm the President of the International Galapagos Tour Operators Association (IGTOA), an organization of over 40 tour companies that raises money for conservation efforts in the Galapagos. You can check out that organization's website at www.igtoa.org. I also agree with some of the comments here that it is possible to book trips to South America on your own or directly through local guides and outfitters and that's a great option for some travelers. Other travelers prefer to have us or other companies like us do all of that organizing for them, for a wide variety of reasons. All the best, Jim Lutz, President, Vaya Adventures