Using Internet for Finances in South America

Sep 12th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Using Internet for Finances in South America

Leaving on one month for our big trip. Will be in Bolivia, Argentina, Peru and Chile. We will need to do some banking and bill paying while we are there. I will be taking an ipad. Any advice on keeping things safe while doing this. I admit I am a little freaked out by this!
Thanks.
Sep 12th, 2014, 09:38 AM

I did the same thing in SA with no problems. However, I'm getting a bit more paranoid and am planning on using a VPN on my upcoming trip - see my thread on the Travel Tips Forum.
Sep 12th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Thursdaysd, no idea what a VPN is but will read your thread.
Sep 12th, 2014, 10:30 AM

VPN = Virtual Private Network. Encrypts your traffic between your computer and the VPN's server, after which it travels normally. So a snooper in your hotel/cafe/etc can't read your traffic. (Plus you can appear to be in another country if you care about that, for accessing sites restricted to a given country, eg the BBC.)
Sep 12th, 2014, 10:31 PM

We used a VPN as described by Thursdaysd during our time in South America and experienced no problems. In fact I think you are probably more likely to be subject to hacking in the US or Europe than SA? I would say the bigger problem is theft and only used iPads in our rooms. I would also set up the "Find IPad " app on your device so you can find and, if necessary, wipe the data and lock the iPad remotely just in case.

Given the recent hacking of "personal" photos from celebrity iCloud accounts, it may be best to set up the second line security feature in addition to your password.

I used the Netshade app available on is iStore. There are free ones around but I tried them and found they really were not great - dropped connections, slow connections etc.
Sep 13th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Crellston. Did Netshade work in all your travels in S.A.?
Sep 13th, 2014, 07:39 AM

Worked fine in all the countries we visited