Search

Bariloche and El Calafate

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2013, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bariloche and El Calafate

Hello

I will be traveling to Buenos Aires in late June (winter), I wanted to know how many days would be needed to see these two places Bariloche and El Calafate espcially since this is winter and we are not skiing

Second
Would it be better to fly to Bariloche and then fly back to Buenos Aires and fly to El Calafate area or just fly straight from Bariloche to El Clafate (safety wise)
In the past some of you advised me against going in the winter to these two sites but this is my itinerary.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 10:28 AM

My advice against going to Calafate at that time of the year stands.

If you are going to do it anyway, go from Bariloche and then on to El Calafate.

It makes no sense at all to go back to BA.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in El Calafate in November, and it wasn't what you'd call hot then, especially near the glaciers - it was really cold out on the deck on the boats. I wouldn't want to be there in the winter, plus I doubt you'd want to hike in to see Mt. Fitz Roy from El Chalten and it would be a pity to miss that.

Personally, I would skip Bariloche at that time of year also, as I don't ski. The scenery was great, but I wouldn't want to be there in the snow. If you want to go somewhere from BsAs I would highly recommend Iguassu, and there's always Uruguay just across the river. (Sorry avrooster, but I thought the beef was better in Uruguay than Argentina.)

I don't understand your question about safety. If you're worried about the planes (why?) you can always take the bus, but air travel is much safer than road travel especially at night.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 12:49 PM

Well, thursdaysd, maybe, just maybe, you didn't go to the right places for beef in Argentina.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 12:36 AM

We just returned from Bariloche and El Calafate. It is not possible to fly direct from Bariloche to El Calafate. We had to go to BA and back down.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
avrooster - my BsAs greeter, who took me to his favorite restaurant on the edge of San Telmo, full of what looked like locals, told me that a lot of the ranches were now raising soy beans for China and the cattle were now being factory farmed. Not saying there isn't good beef available in some places in Argentina, but it's not a given any more.

Bariloche to El Calafate - I'm sure there is a bus.