Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   typical airfares from US-Lima? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/typical-airfares-from-us-lima-818857/)

susiesan Dec 25th, 2009 11:31 AM

typical airfares from US-Lima?

I'm in the planning stages of a 2 week trip through Peru and can go anytime in Sept. or Oct. 2010. As I've never traveled to South America before I'm not familiar with what would be a decent airfare to pay. I'd be flying from Kansas City, going through Miami to Lima. Right now, AA has the best fares, around $680 RT next fall. Two weeks ago it was $638 RT.

Anyone have experience with what time of year the airlines have sales on their fares to Peru? Should I buy 9 months in advance or wait until 3-6 months before? What do you regular travelers to Peru do?

fishee Dec 26th, 2009 11:03 AM

These aren't typical fares at all but TACA: MIA-LIM for $208 total for a few March dates. AA: SFO-LIM for $332 thru May until last week. I'd never count on such prices but these are the lowest poss range. (r/t, all taxes included)

I'd wait for a 400 range but I don't know Peru's high/low seasons, etc. so hopefully an informed Peru traveler can chime in. Fares have been oddly low to LIM (but usually only for 3 months out) so I'd check frequently -- try Yapta?

susiesan Dec 27th, 2009 04:46 PM

I'm tracking 4 different sets of flights on 4 different dates on Yapta. Cheap prices from Miami don't do me any good as a ticket MCI-MIA typically costs $225.

Maybe with all the restrictions and hassles of flying after the DTW attempted bombing people will cancel their int'l travel and the airlines will have a big sale to get people back.

travelduo Dec 28th, 2009 03:14 PM

MCi is our home airport as well, and the AA flight your found is about the best I have seen for awhile. We just came back from Peru on AA/LAN, but we used some of our AA miles and got saver seats in first, so we ended up only paying the taxes on the tix. There was a big sale on AA from sfo that just ended that fishee was talking about, but we didnt really see a sale out of MCI. There are several people on Flyertalk that were using that cheap fare for a milage run to LIM.

Are you only going to Lima, or planning on intra Peru flights as well? The LIM-CUZ flight can get expensive for gringos.

If you make it to Cusco, look into booking Percy for a day!

Jeffrey

robertino Dec 29th, 2009 06:18 AM

Waiting is always a gamble, but I would wait. I booked in August for September round trip tickets from DC to Cusco for $504.

susiesan Dec 30th, 2009 12:16 PM

Jeffrey:
We are planning a 14 day trip all over Peru. It is being arranged for us by Peru Best Tours. We will be flying to Arequippa, Puno, Puerto Maldonado, and back to Lima. The TA is buying the intra Peru flights for us at the better, locals pricing. We'll take the bus from Puno to Cusco.

I have enough AA miles, but I don't want to use them for a trip that isn't that long or expensive. I save them for seats in biz class to Asia.

travelduo Dec 31st, 2009 05:38 PM

I just saw your post over on FT! We usually use the miles for asia as well, but went for something a little different this time. Hope you have a great time in Peru!

susiesan Jan 5th, 2010 09:45 AM

travelduo:
Do you live in KC? email me offline susiesan at kc.rr.com

I have lots of posts on FT!
We are going to Cambodia and Laos in Feb.but like you wanted to do something different on or next int'l vacation. Between the high costs and hassles of flying to Europe now, South America looks to be a good alternative.

susiesan Jan 8th, 2010 11:23 AM

The fare has dropped to $633 RT in econ on AA for 9/17/10 to 10/02/10. This is 9 months prior. I'm hoping AA will have a big sale sometime in January. I'm waiting for now.

fishee Jan 10th, 2010 06:31 PM

MIA-LIM $203 roundtrip, inc taxes and fees on TACA.

Check your dates!

susiesan Jan 12th, 2010 04:18 PM

The TACA MIA-LIM flight leaves at 8:40 in the morning. I cannot get there in time except by coming in the night before and staying at a hotel. The same connection applies going home to Kansas City. All savings on the plane ticket would most likely be eaten up by hotel bills.

susiesan Jan 24th, 2010 09:47 AM

After monitoring this airfare for 3 weeks I decided to buy today at $633 RT MCI-LIM each in economy on AA. I got flights with minimal time on the ground during the connections. It wasn't going down anymore and had occasionally been going up by $150, depending on which day of the week I would check.We leave Sept. 17 return Oct. 2.

crowdpub Jan 26th, 2010 06:59 AM

Airfares may become more competitive if United enters the foreray which is expected. Several other airlines are considering entering the market. United left the market six years ago.
http://www.lanewsupdate.com

susiesan Jan 26th, 2010 08:45 AM

It will be too late for me as I will have already been there done that.

"United Airlines is evaluating its return to Peru, from where it left 6 years ago”, he said.
However, he added that the decisions the airlines may make today take eight to nine months to be implemented."