Trip report,Cusco,Inca trail.Lima

Old Apr 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM
CCF
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip report,Cusco,Inca trail.Lima

Just returned from 10 days in Peru. had a wonderful time thanks in large part to itinerary planned by Vidal Jaqueha and Adventure Holidays Peru,soon to be Adios Adventure Travel. I highly recommend them, they are very environmentally and culturally conscious.
Flew into Lima,stayed one night at the Hotel San Agustin in Miraflores. Off to Cusco for 3 days to acclimatize to the altitude before starting on the hike.Stayed at the Encantada Hotel in San Blas. Charming ,small hotel with great staff and close to most sights in Cusco.
Had a wonderful guide for our stay in Peru,Juan Jose.he was very knowledgeable and funny,repectful of all the culture and people we came in contact with along the way. In the 3 days we visited the Sacred Valley and ruins near Cusco.
Off on the trek.There were 3 of us.My husband and I are 62 and were a bit nervous about the trek but all worked out well.The other chap was in his 40's and an experienced hiker.Again,Juan was superb.Let us set the pace and was very tuned into our needs.Our crew of porters and cook were delightful,cheerful,worked very well together.Food was outstanding.
After Machu Pichu,we spent one last night in Cusco,then onto Lima for a brief visit and tour before heading back to the US.
Unforgetable trip,thanks to all for your advice and suggestions on how to manage the trip/trek.
CCF
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM

Hi CCF,
I'm glad you had a great trip. We are planning to go to Machu Picchu but I will not be able to do the hike. My question is this: Is there an overlook that I can climb to that will afford me the classic view of Machu Picchu with Huayna Picchu in the background? Is this view only available from the Inca trail? If there is such an overlook is it only available from inside the park or can I climb to it our first afternoon there and then visit MP the next day?
Thank you for your help,
Michele
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 03:05 PM
CCF
Original Poster

Hi Michelle,
We were inside the ruins and on the trail so I'm sot sure if there is another spot where you can get the view.
If able you can walk about 1/2 mile to the sun gate and see the view.It's uphill but the path itself is pretty level going.
From inside, there are still majestic views of the ruins.No matter you will be impressed.
CCF
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:15 PM

Hi CCF,
I can walk that distance no problem, especially if no one is waiting on me. I can do pretty much everything, just slower now since a freak accident two years ago.

I really did want to do the trail if we could go at our own pace. I've done much backpacking prior to the accident. But since we have to go in a group I wouldn't want to hold up anyone since I have a slower pace now, especially on the steps, and I heard there are a lot of steps on the trail.

I was just wondering about the trail since I know you need a guide to go on it so I didn't know if we would be allowed to walk on this end of the trail for a short distance to get the views.

I will definitely go to the Sun Gate for the view. I'm glad you had such a great time.

Take care,
Michele
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:27 PM

You can get the classic view from the Watchman's house area. Right after you enter, you will walk slowly up a hill, and reach the terraces with all of the llamas. Then continue on to the right. You don't have to go to the Sun Gate.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:40 PM

Hi mlgb,
Great! Thank you for the quick response. I will put this in my notes immediately.
Michele
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
CCF
Original Poster

Hi Michelle,
I assure you we were real slowpokes! Our guide was terrific at letting us set the pace and since there were only 3 of us,we weren't worried about holding anyone up.We hiked 6-7 miles each day.
We have friends who were the pnly two in their group.So I think if you're fit enough,you should be able to make the hike.
Good luck!
CCF