Self-drive in Lake District

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering renting a car in Puerto Montt then driving counter-clockwise to Bariloche, San Martin de los Andes, Pucon and returning the car in Temuco.

About how long is each leg it it were to be driven non-stop?

What all is involved in getting the paperwork necessary to take a rental car into Argentina, how much does that generally cost and how long does that take?

What routing would be the most picturesque, yet still readily manageable?

Thank you!
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 12:47 AM

Cant help with Puerto Montt or Temuco but we did the section from San Martin de los Andes in 2008 taking the "scenic route" through the seven Lakes area - very pretty. I think it took the best part of the day but we were stopping a lot on the way including a couple of hours in Angostura for lunch - probably 4-5 hours non-stop. The roads was gravel fro a lot of the way (but that may have changed. There is also a faster but less scenic route on tarmac roads.

I have heard some horror stories re taking rental cars across the border. Not all rental companies will permit crossing but it is impotnat to check the documents thoroughly to ensure dates, permits and license/chassis numbers are correct. Maybe Huentutu will chip in with some more info..
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 02:53 AM

Rental Car insurance VERY high there

almost always does not cover borders a very bad

idea shake downs from corrupt cops mark u for theft.

Driver/guides ALWAYS better for me $35-50/half day for me
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 05:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We did the drive from Bariloche to SAn Martin de Los Andes. we went up on the Seven Lakes drive which is gravel the majority of the way. we were not as impressed with that drive as many others are. We returned on the Tarmac route and actually thought the scenery quite interesting not unlike some of the scenery in the NW of ARG. going up took us maybe 5-6 hours...it's very slow going over the gravel. we probably spent close to that returning, but we stopped along the way for lunch and did lots of stopping along the way.

we looked into renting a car in Chile and crossing the border. there was paperwork that needed to be done In advance and it was rather expensive. I never read anything about or heard any stories about "shakedowns" as mentioned above. spoke with several people who did it and they had no problems.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 12:16 AM

I have no idea to what QV is referring when he talks about "shake downs from corrupt cops mark u for theft" (sic). I have driven in several areas of Argentina and not once have I experienced any problems with police. Quite the opposite, when we got lost on a couple of occasions they were extremely courteous, friendly and helpful.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 06:23 AM

<i>Quite the opposite, when we got lost on a couple of occasions they were extremely courteous, friendly and helpful</i>.

Crellston ..I agree ...in Chile especially...Have you had any personal experience with that kind of behavior, QV? Would be interested in knowing.
stu
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM

Do note that the status of the Puyehue volcano is still active and the present situation can change in a day. So far things have remained stable, but today there was some ash in the air near Puerto Montt temporarily closing the airport. Other flights and airports were not affected.

You can certainly do the trip you planned by car. You need to let the rental company know that you want to go across the border as special permissions have to be drawn up. In your case I would remain flexible about my destination in the area until you see how things are regarding the volcano. It is a fairly limited area which is affected and you can easily change your route.

As for driving times, it will take about 6 hours from Puerto Montt to Bariloche, but time at the border has to be included and that is impossible to pin down. Barioche to San Martin 3.5 to 4 hours on the fast road, anywhere from 4 up on the 7 lakes route as you tend to stop a lot for views etc. I don´t know what it is like since the first ash fall. From San Martin back to Pucón, about 5 hours, also depending on delays at the border and how often you stop for views. All the routes are scenic. You can take buses if you do not want to drive or if you find it too expensive.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Any recommendations for a reliable car rental company in Puerto Montt / Puerto Varas that would allow us to take the car across the border?
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 12:03 PM

Budget in PM is good...we had no problems..took a mid-size.
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 12:44 AM

We used Hertz in Salta and San Martin who were excellent.