Trekking/tour companies for Patagonia

Nov 12th, 2019, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Trekking/tour companies for Patagonia

Hi there,

We are heading to Patagonia in December 2020/January 2021, and understand that this is a very busy time of year for this area. Therefore, we should not leave things until the last minute. We would like to trek and see the following:

[color=left=#323232]Torres Del Paine (the W trek), Perito Moreno, Los Glaciers National Park, Mt. Fitz Roy and Tierra del Fuego National Park

To make it easier on us and provide peace of mind, we would like to use a company to help with the arrangements and perhaps guide us. Can anyone recommend companies for this type of travel? If so, I would appreciate hearing the names.

Thanks, Cathy [/color]
Nov 12th, 2019, 08:30 PM

Regarding the W trek, I'm copying from a previous post of mine:

Not sure if OP is still looking for info, but we used "Chile Nativo" as a tour agency to book our W-trek accomodations.

We're very DYI and would never have used an agency except for the fact that our trip was last minute, and it was impossible to directly book the lodges on our own because they were full. So, we were stuck booking the lodges through an agency because they had space. The agencies make speculative bookings and scoop up a lot of the space in the lodges in the hope of reselling them later on.

But we found "Chile Nativo" to be very professional, honest, and great with communications. If you're not a DYI type of traveler, I'd highly recommend considering them. We have nothing bad to say about them. We just didn't like the fact that we had to use an agency and pay a mark-up when we could have booked the same things ourselves, and generally didn't like the system.
Patagonia-W Trek Tour Company Recommendations

You *might* want to use a tour company for W trek logistics, since it's a little complicated. But for El Chalten, all you need to do is book a hotel in town and walk over to the trailheads yourself. You definitely don't need a tour company for that.
Nov 13th, 2019, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for. We are also a DYI travellers, but I am hesitate for this. I will check out Chile Nativo.

Also, after you did the W Trek, how did you move from place to place?

C
Nov 14th, 2019, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by lyntay View Post
Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for. We are also a DYI travellers, but I am hesitate for this. I will check out Chile Nativo.

Also, after you did the W Trek, how did you move from place to place?

C
We took inter-city buses from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales to El Calafate to El Chalten. They're really nice buses; comfortable seats with big recline and lots of room, clean, etc. Very first world. Schedules are online and various companies serve these routes; easy to book from abroad.