Visa question for Argentina/Brazil

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading to Argentina in two weeks. While we're there, we'll be visiting Iguazu and would like to go over to the Brazilian side for a day. Americans/US passport holders need a visa to go to Brazil, but Irish passport holders do not. I have both. I understand that I have to leave and re-enter the US on my US passport. Does anyone know if I can then go from Argentina to Brazil on my Irish passport? Do you think they'll need to see my entry stamp for Argentina and will it be a problem if I present two passports? I know this is a completely random question and I'm afraid there won't be a definite answer, but I appreciate any help anyone can give me. I'm also going to call the Argentine and Brazilian consulates on Monday to see if I can get an answer there.
thanks
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 11:34 PM

I have two passports--Australian and British--and frequently do what you are suggesting. In fact, I only use my Australian passport to enter and exit the country. I frequently present both passports particularly when going on a flight to Brazil from Australia, as the airline needs to be assured I don't need a visa.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 01:35 AM

Legally you need to enter and exit countries on the same passport. Save the US one for entering and exiting the US, use the second passport for everywhere else. It makes life easier. If you fly into Ezeiza and use the US one to enter Argentina, you will pay US$131 reciprocity fee. There is no fee for EU citizens.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 04:12 AM

Cheaper better

enter/exit all SA countries

on your Irish Passport
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. This makes lots of sense. I'll be sad not to have a stamp for Argentina in my US passport, but it makes more sense than paying the reciprocity fee in Argentina and the visa fee for Brazil.
Old Apr 4th, 2010, 11:23 PM

We have British passports and have crossed the Argentine/Brazilian border twice each way at Iguazu. The first time we were informed by the bus driver that we did not need to show a passport just for a day trip - probably illegal but most people on the bus of varying nationalities did the same without any problems. The second time we decided to get a stamp and sailed through immigration in a couple of minutes. The immigration people on both sides really didn't seem to care much at all who came and went from their respective countries! At least that was the case in late 2008.
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:27 PM

Susan7, a question for you!!....

I also have dual citizenship- Australian/British, and I would really appreciate if anyone knows if it is possible to re-enter Brasil on a British passport after spending 6 months there with an Australian passport and tourist visa. I know that with a British passport, I do not need a visa to go to Brasil for the first 3 months. After that, it is a fairly simple process to apply to the Policia Federal for 3 more months.

The only thing that I am worried about is that as an Australian I am entitled only to 6months tourist visa in any one year. Is it a completely separate situation re-entering as a British citizen? Will my name or photo appear as an Australian on the system when I go to apply for 3 more months if I get into Brasil?

Any help with this would be much appreciated!!
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:30 AM

I don't know the answer to that one, I think you'd need to ask the consulate.