Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/transportation-cusco-airport-to-ollantaytamba-train-station-1112294/)

KaneezM Jun 12th, 2016 12:51 PM

Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station

Good day, fellow travelers. Our Peru trip is coming together, slowly but steadily. Am seeking input/suggestions on how to get from Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station where we board the Vistadome to Aguas Calientes.

Our plane is scheduled to land on Tuesday, July 5 at 10:05 a.m. Our train leaves from Ollantaytamba at 1537 hours (3:37 p.m.). We are a family of five (3 adults, 2 children), and will be trying to travel light, although I suspect will have at least one suitcase and a couple of smaller bags (either carry one or duffle).

Also - how much time realistically should I expect this to take? My search so far says that it should take about 3 hours by road, but would love any input. Price expectations would be great, too.

During our trip, we are taking local flights (Avianca) and buses (Inka Terra), but don't see anything online that I can reserve for this piece (Cusco-Ollan).

Thank you.

KaneezM Jun 12th, 2016 12:57 PM

Oops. Did some more research on this site and found a recent thread that recommends taxidatum.com. Anything else or any other thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

crellston Jun 12th, 2016 06:36 PM

Taxidatum are probably your best bet. A normal taxi should cost around 150 soles and I would normally suggest that, to avoid having to haggle at the airport, get your accomodation to arrange it but that clearly won't work in your case as you are not staying in Ollantyatmbo.

It normally takes around 2.5 hours from the centre of the city by collectivo, by car, maybe 2 hours from the airport.

Check your train tickets but I think you have to be at the train about an hour before departure and I believe they are pretty strict about that.

hopefulist Jun 12th, 2016 08:53 PM

We used Taxidatum from the airport to our Airbnb place in Ollantaytambo in late April; cost for 4 in a nice van was $55 - nice, smooth transition after multiple flights.

KaneezM Jun 13th, 2016 05:21 PM

Thank you. We made a reservation and are going straight to the train station. Appreciate the info and input.

mlgb Jun 14th, 2016 06:56 AM

When I used taxidatum in Lima during a layover last year, I didn't at the time realize that the driver was Leonardo, the owner!

He lived in the US for a while and I really liked him. I was a bit unsure about them at first, as there were so many positive comments on Tripadvisor, I was afraid it was a setup. But the company has turned out to be legit and I see a lot of "real" first-class reviews.

Have a great trip!

KaneezM Jun 19th, 2016 03:49 PM

Thank you, mlgb. Good to know. Will do a trip report with our experiences. Fingers crossed.

beckysbuys Jun 22nd, 2016 12:59 PM

I'm planning on going in Dec- will await your reviews!

FranknSense Jun 23rd, 2016 03:35 AM

I recommend Taxitum for any of your transportation needs in Peru.

We have done two of the Sacred Valley drive tours with taxitum going and coming from Olly, both were excellent and only $65 USD. 4 people, light luggage and the tours lasted about 6 hours.

Our drivers were Wilson and James, both were professional, reliable and punctual. James speaks perfect English, but only works on weekends