Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page > train rides to Machu Picchu-Peru Rail-Backpacker or Vistadome?

train rides to Machu Picchu-Peru Rail-Backpacker or Vistadome?

Sep 16th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

train rides to Machu Picchu-Peru Rail-Backpacker or Vistadome?

Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to which "style" train to take? I hear the Backpacker style is "comfy" but not the best; windows are small so you don't get to see much. I guess "Vistadome" is a bit fancier and seats are definitely more comfortable and windows are wider.

Any reason why I should take one over the other one?

Thanks!!!
Sep 16th, 2009, 07:54 AM

We ended up using both services. Vistadome from AC to Ollanta and backpacker on the way back.

On the backbacker - you face the people sitting across from you and have to share the leg space with them. My two cents -- it was OK for the short ride from AC to Ollanta (especially since the couple across from us were just as considerate of the limited space as we were), but I wouldn't want to do it for the longer ride to/from Cusco (Poroy).
Sep 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you SO much for your input to both of you!
Sep 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM

I don't recall having the seat facing someone else (maybe it was such a non-issue I forgot, or maybe I was lucky. I just picked my train by schedule. The side windows in the backpacker are just fine. If you have a window seat in the BP it is just as good as Vistadome. The Vistadome has a large window at the front of the car but unless you are really lucky or get out of your seat it won't do much for you. I didn't find the small overhead window added much value.
Sep 16th, 2009, 07:09 PM

No big difference, rode Vistadome to MP and the Backpacker on return. I cant remember much difference except a lame fashion show and a cheap box lunch was included with the Vistadome. Just take the one that works best for your schedule.
Sep 16th, 2009, 08:39 PM

The real excitement it on the bus heading up to MP from town, I was wide eyed excited by the surreal mountains and terrain, unforgettable, and then there are the ruins....

Search this Thread