Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Four days in Argentine northwest -- where to go, what to choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in and around the Argentine northwest in late November. Salta ia a must, we realize. Should we use it as a base -- travel elsewhere as well? Any suggestions on where else to head ( and via what mode of travel) in this limited time? What about the train to the clouds? Any and all advice welcome!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:30 AM

I would better suggest to overngith some nigth in the way as the distances are long and you will miss a lot if you ahve to drive back to SALTA every night.
For instance;
Salta - Purmamarca . Salinas Grandes - Purmamarca
Purmamarca - Tilcara - Humahuaca -Salta
SAlta - CAfaayte wine tasting
Cafayate - would be a more or less tight schedule for four days.
You need time for all the beautiful things you have to see. And if youa re going to include CAchi, take at least three days for the whole loop.
If you need further info, about restaurants adn hotels, pls, do not hesitate in make as many questiosn as you consider necessary.
Flintstones
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Angie ((Flintstones), louloujr asked about the train to the clouds. I know you don't like it, but perhaps, as our NW expert, you could tell us some more about it, like how it is operating now. Thanks.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think what u do in your 4 days depends upon how much time u want to spend in the car driving to destinations. All the ideas flintstones suggests, are of course, good ones.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 06:49 AM

Sorry, AVRooster you are always "al pie del cañon"! LOL!
Yes, well I have recently seen some of the trucks of the trailways and a s someone born in a rail-town... I do not see any improvement in them. IMO it is not reliable and also it is a very long trip on a train. We ususally know when the train leaves but we never know what time it will be back.
I just called to be sure...
The train leaves every saturday at 7:00 you should be there at 6:30 and comes back at 23:45. It used to get back at 21:45 when I was the guide in 1987. What is wrong? maybe the way is longer now that 22 years ago???
Personally I would not take the train.
If you could get this article translated you would see why I do not like it
http://criticadigital.com/index.php?secc=nota&nid=9343
Flintstones
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

What is the best way of travel between towns (for non-Spanish speakers)? Renting a car? Taking the bus? Hiring a driver? Is auto travel safe in this area of Argentina?

Thanks, louloujr
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
All of those options would be available. Yes, auto travel is safe. We like driving ourselves and thoroughly enjoyed driving for 9 days in the NW Arg. U can click on my name and read my TR of our time there which describes the various routes we were on. Depending upon where u decide to go, the roads vary. We had no trouble on any of them, had a few unpaved roads, but mostly paved highways, little traffic and easy going.

If u don't like driving yourself, then a guide would be my suggestion. U might want to contact Flintstones as she is a guide in that area.

Knowing a few very basics in Spanish is always helpful, but I think if u want to u can go it alone not knowing Spanish.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM

All the options,
travelling by bus could take more time for ou and the language could also make it difficult.
Renting a car is OK, it is fairly easy to drive, there are good roads, and the Head Office porvides you with free maps.
Taking a regular tour is another option but most of the torus are one day tours....
Hiring a guide/driver give youfreedom to stop enywhere and build up your own itinerary with some overnights outside SALTA to make the itineraries more functional.
ALL the optiuons as yestravel said.
flintstones.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM

Angie (Flintstones) is a top independent Salta guide with her own transportation, but she respects this forum's rules and doesn't advertise herself.

You can research her here http://tinyurl.com/nw9f4
by writing "Angie" in the search feature or, if you can spare quite a while, you can read my thread written when I met her upon traveling to our NW: http://tinyurl.com/jsgu8