Notices

Tour company for Brazil

Sep 30th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Tour company for Brazil

We don't typically like group tours but are looking for a travel agent to assist us in making hotel/apartment, intra-country air travel, and other arrangements for a March family trip to Brazil. We are traveling with our kids (ages, 10, 7 and 4) so someone with family travel experience would be great. Thanks in advance.
Oct 1st, 2012, 04:39 AM

We spent a month in Brazil earlier this year - like you I started out looking for a travel agent to work with and got two quotes. The hotel pricing was fairly standard but in both cases the airport transfers were extremely high (after I insisted the costs be broken out so I could see why the costs were so high). The agents both said "well, you have to be safe" while charging more than a night in a hotel for an airport transfer! In the end I booked most everything myself (and we took cabs from the airports or booked driver/guides ourselves at a fraction of the cost). For the intra country air we used a TAM Airpass which was a great deal.

http://www.brol.com/air%20passes/
Oct 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM

As #1 said, it is not so difficult to book for Brazil on your own, and usually much cheaper. The airpass cost for the number of legs you plan to use should be compared against the total for individual flights, since March is not high season in Brazil. Rio will be very expensive, but there are still many destinations that are not so outrageously priced. TAM and GOL are the easiest airlines to book, although sometimes others may be cheaper. The bus system is also quite good, but flights are sometimes cheaper, surprisingly.

If you indicate your interests (culture, nature, cities, beach, how long you intend to stay total and how long you prefer to stay in one place -- assuming with kids you might not want to be on the go constantly) and a price range in reais for accomodation, folks here may be able to assist you better. The Trip Advisor Brazil forum also has some knowledgable and helpful contributors, as well as reviews for accomodations.
CVC is the largest Brazilian travel agency and often has good deals. However, their site in Portuguese will require Google Translate.

Just to give you an idea of the best of Brazil:

Thousands of miles of coastline/beaches with charming beach villages, from south to north. (Choose carefully with children though, because much of the coast has big surf.)

Nature: Pantanal for wildlife; Parque Lencois for lakes in the dunes and interesting Colonial Sao Luis; even Tijuca forest right in Rio; Chapada Diamantina in Bahia for hiking, waterfalls; Ilha Grande, R.J. state;

Culture: Rio of course; colorful Salvador, Bahia and its African based music and traditions (and beaches); Recife/Olinda for regional music and Colonial architecture (and beaches); the beautiful Colonial towns inthe spectacular mountains of Minas Gerais state; Sao Luis city, Maranhao; Paraty, R.J. state
and much more....

A lot of the fun is in the planning !

Search this Thread