Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Torres del Paine W Trek... Mid June or Late August???

Old May 5th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

So I've committed to doing the W trek in Torres del Paine on my upcoming trip to South America. I'm from Canada and have winter trekking experience.

However, I'm not sure if I should start with the trek in mid June at the beginning of my trip or if I should do it at the end of my trip in mid August. Does anyone know which time of year would have preferable weather?

Also, would camping supplies stores in Puerto Natales be open at this time of year? I wouldn't mind renting some of the equipment so that I don't have to lug it around with me afterwards.

This is one of my wildest dreams so any information is extremely appreciated! The more info the better.

Thanks so much!

-Sam
Old May 5th, 2014, 04:50 PM

I'm guessing June would be somewhat better weather, though you could have good or bad weather any time of year in southern Patagonia, and that you could find someone to rent you equipment (just contact them early on to be sure). One major advantage would be the lack of crowds, in either June or August. Having visited Patagonia in Nov/Dec and then again in September, I'd take the colder but far, far less crowded conditions in Sept any day.
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:24 AM

Be sure to check in advance (like now) that any services you plan to use are open. This includes hotels, refugios, equipment rental, transportation, etc. For one, Las Torres Hotel is closed until September and they staff and supply Los Cuercos Refugio, so that may be closed, too..
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:58 PM

Here are the dates for 2013/2104 for Fantastico Sur. It looks like September is better for finding any services open along the W.

http://www.fantasticosur.com/mountai...sur-2013-2014/

It doesn't look like anything is open for Vertice Patagonia.

http://www.verticepatagonia.com/
Old May 9th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much guys! I've been in contact with the Erratic Rock hostel and they sound like they'll be available. I've also spoken to someone who's done the trek in July and they've provided me with detailed information.

Thanks again!
-Sam
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 05:58 PM

Sam, would you mind passing along the info you got from the person you spoke to? Interested in hearing more! Thanks.
Old Nov 14th, 2014, 07:08 PM

Hey Sam hope you had fun,

I was wondering how you got on with this?

We are thinking of heading there next June, but struggling to find any info on accommodation. Willing to spare any of that detailed info it would be very helpful to get any helpful pointers.

Cheers mate

Rob
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 06:22 AM

Erratic Rock Hostel in Puerto Natales

http://www.erraticrock.com/hostel/
Old Jul 18th, 2015, 01:17 PM

Hi Sam, have you done this trip yet? I am coming down in the mid August to Chile as well this year, I was wondering if you want to do the winter trekking together or could you share the info and details of the trip to TDP NP along with the others if you have already done it? I am alone and having hard time finding winter trip info beside those expensive tour package deals.. Please share and help with many other who can enjoy TDP NP in winter
Mahalo nui loa,
Sun
Old Aug 8th, 2015, 05:23 PM

Hi flyingkauai , I'm in exactly the same position I'm in punta arenas now but looking to go tdp in next week or two, u still going ? Or u heard anything from Sam ? Or have any new info ? Email me at [email protected] and let me know the score