Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Tigre Delta (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/tigre-delta-814772/)

shaynak Nov 17th, 2009 08:37 PM

Tigre Delta

Is a side trip to Tigre Delta better to do on our own. Which train would you take- I understand that there are two choices. We would be coming from Palermo. What do you suggest for other easy to reach activities when we are in BA during February?
Thanks,
Shaynak

Scarlett Nov 19th, 2009 04:30 AM

Absolutely, it is just a short train ride from town, spend the day wandering, take a boat ride, eat at one of the restaurants along the water, back to town on the train.

Colonia Uruguay, high speed ferry there, wander, lunch, wander, shop ferry back ..it is a World Heritage site, very nice.

Go out to the Nature Preserve off Puerto Madero .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos_...ogical_Reserve

shaynak Nov 22nd, 2009 03:11 PM

Scarlett-
Are there any restaurants in Tigre that you love as they are fun and not too noisy? What train do you suggest from Palermo?
How do I get to the Nature Preserve- it sounds like a great place.

Do you think it would be too hot to enjoy a gaucho show in the Pampas in early Feb? I really get kind of week in the heat.

kodi Nov 22nd, 2009 03:22 PM

I'm probably going to confuse you, because I cannot tell you the name of the trains we took.
But we took the train from Retiro station to San Isidro. It's a beautiful town and we wandered for a couple of hours, had ice cream.. and caught another train to the Tigre.
From there , we bought a ticket for the boat, and stopped at Gato Blanco for a lovely lunch. There are also gardens there to wander around in.

On the way back, after getting off the boat, we took one train back to Retiro. It was packed and everyone really was jammed in. SO try somehow to get a seat.

avrooster Nov 22nd, 2009 03:30 PM

kodi: the "another train to the Tigre" must have been the "Tren de la Costa".

http://www.trendelacosta.com.ar/site/

tptr Nov 22nd, 2009 06:47 PM

Tigre is definitely a nice day trip, and quite easy on your own. I do not know where you are staying in Palermo, but I would suggest going there by train from Retiro station. I believe we rode up on the Mitre line.
If you get to Retiro, you'll have no problem getting the tickets, as 99.99% of tourists are only looking to get to Tigre, and the ticket booth people will sell you the correct tickets.
Have fun during the ride..........some terrific buskers will get on the train. Enjoy thier entertainment, and tip them well if you like their presentations.
Stop in at the TI in Tigre and gather information. There are one hour (or so) tour boats plying the canals. The price for the ride is quite decent. You can ride a canal "bus boat" for less than the tour boats, and they will allow you to disembark wherever you'd like ( such as a restaurant along the canals.) Just get back on another scheduled bus to get you back to Tigre.
I cannot reccomend a restaurant as we sort of ate "on the fly" when we visited Tigre. If you did your homework while visiting the Tourist Info (TI) center, you'll know that it's possible to take the Tren de la Costa back toward BA. It's basically a tourist affair, quite a bit fancier (and more expensive) than the Mitre line trains, and without the Mitre line atmosphere, but it's nice to ride it anyway. We eventually transferred to a subway line to return home in Palermo.
Of course If I were to suggest another day trip from BA, that would be to Colonia, but I must admit I am a total devotee of that town. From reading forums, I know that people either love Colonia, or think it's a boring place.
Actually, our most favorite day trip (which actually was evening) was to Country Los Cerillos in Partido de Pilar, but that's a totally different story, lol.
tptr

shaynak Nov 22nd, 2009 09:44 PM

kodi-
It sounds like you had a great day.What time of year were you there? We will be there in February when it is quite hot and I have heard mosquitoes are all over. Did you have an biting insect problem? I am going to take your advice and go to San Isidro and then Tigre. Was San Isidro an easy stop to find?
Thank you

shaynak Nov 22nd, 2009 09:46 PM

tptr-
What is Colonia- is that in Uruguay? Also, please tell me about Country Los Cerillos in Partido de Pilar- I have never heard of it but want to explore as much as I can. What time of year were you there?
Thanks for all the details in your response.
Shanak

shaynak Nov 22nd, 2009 09:49 PM

avrooster-
You seem to know so much about BA. I know it will be very hot in mid February during the day.Will any of these side trips be too difficult do to the heat? Does it cool down enough to need a sweater or jacket at night?
Thanks for your help.
Shaynak

avrooster Nov 23rd, 2009 01:11 AM

Hi, shaynak!

Yes, it CAN be quite warm during the day in February and it CAN cool down at night, but the weather is fickle and has been even more so lately.

About the mosquitoes, just use Off and you should be OK.

San Isidro is the most important stop for the railway lines which serve our northern suburbs and is, therefore, quite easy to find.

Yes, Colonia is in Uruguay, across the river.

Country Club Los Cerrillos is a private gated community, 40 miles NW of Buenos Aires, but "that's a totally different story", as tptr said.

Have a great time in our country.

kodi Nov 23rd, 2009 04:40 AM

Thank you AVrooster, that is the train we took from San Isidro.
Shaynak, I do recommend stopping there. I think it's an easy stop to find. We were with someone who knew the way, so I have to say I wasn't really paying attention.. But I plan to find my own way there this Feb. When we were there, a big open air market was on the hill and in the trais station. Great things to see and buy.. Walk up the hill past the market to the town... look for ice cream!

We were there in April, and didn't notice any mosquitos.. but I , also , will be there in Feb and never thought of bringing OFF. I'd better pack it.

I want to do a day trip to Colonia, Uruguay too, and it seems there is a high speed ferry that goes there.
I googled 'colonia, uruguay. and found out about the ferries.. The slow one takes three hours, so be sure to catch the fast one, which only takes an hour.

Good luck and have fun.
If you see someone looking totally bewildered, it might be me!

avrooster Nov 23rd, 2009 08:42 AM

Buy OFF here, to help our local businesses.

Scarlett Nov 23rd, 2009 11:45 AM

Mosquitoes are out now, lots of them in town and in the parks. We have had a lot of rain, the grass is high in some parks.. mosquitoes are happy.
I brought OFF here with me when we moved and still had the can here. I just bought a can here and looked at the ingredients in both cans.. They are exactly the same so you can wait and buy it here.
They even have towelettes which is good too..

shaynak Jan 18th, 2010 09:51 PM

Will someone give me the details of this Country Club Los Cerillos? It sounds like it might be fabulous?

avrooster Jan 19th, 2010 02:02 AM

Shaynak: Los Cerrillos Country Club is the gated community where I live, not a tourist attraction. Thirty or more miles Northwest of the town of Buenos Aires, there is an area called Pilar, where many, many country clubs were developed, in the course of the last 20 or more years. Los Cerrillos is just one of these country clubs. A very small one, in fact. Forum member tptr knows about it, because he visited my home. Otherwise, he would never even have known it existed.