Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Thanks AVRooster (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/thanks-avrooster-988215/)

bea_001 Aug 11th, 2013 11:56 AM

Thanks AVRooster

Just returned from my 5th visit to Buenos Aires and, as always, AVRooster´s help was invaluable. We rented a gorgeous apartment in Recoleta, through VRBO, a bit pricey, but worth every penny. The beds, linens and pillows were like a dream. I even wrote the manager asking where I could get the pillows, which I finally purchased and brought one back home.
We changed money, of course with AVRoosters´s company, and were invited for lunch at L´Orangerie, at the Alvear Palace, which is quite an experience. I´ve never felt like royalty before, except besides at the the Ciragan Palace in Istanbul, and the service we received at L´Orangerie, was worth of kings. The lunch buffet had everything you can think of from Sushi, salads, hot dishes and the most delicious bread. Besides the cold entrees, I had the Patagonian lamb chops which were delicious. My travel companions had second servings but I just couldn´t eat more. The service was amazing, with attentive waiters without being intrusive. I would highly recommend visiting L´Orangerie for a good pamper.

San Juanino´s empanadas in Calle Posadas are a must in Buenos Aires. First evening, after unpacking , walked three blocks and ordered them. Another occasion we called for delivery and before our return home, we ordered three boxes to bring back home with us.

We had lunch twice at Fervor, as per AVRooster´s recommendations and loved it. Sottovoce in Puerto Madero, in spite of the good reviews and having been there in my previous trips, didn´t live to our expectations. Service was very poor and the food quality was not so good. My travel partner nor myself drink wine, so I ordered a vodka on the rocks with a slice of lime and I was brought a lemonade with vodka. I ordered linguini with dried tomatoes and olives, without any garlic, and instead got an extra amount of garlic. Sottovoce has been crossed off my restaurants in Buenos Aires.

MarnieWDC Aug 11th, 2013 01:25 PM

Thank you, Bea, for whetting our appetites with good restaurant reminders - and reminding us all how valuable a poster is AVRooster.

avrooster Aug 12th, 2013 03:50 AM

Welcome back to the Fodor's Argentina forum, bea_001!

My comments:

Forum members probably would like to know more about the apartment you rented.

I wish to point out that I usually suggest steering away from restaurants in Puerto Madero.

I would still suggest trying the Sottovoce on Libertador and Ayacucho.

Come back soon, bea_001!

HappyTrvlr Aug 13th, 2013 12:35 PM

We had a wonderful experience at Sottovoce in Recoleta, around the corner from Fervor.

avrooster Aug 14th, 2013 03:21 AM

Yes, that's the one I mean.