Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Taxi Ezeiza - BEWARE! (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/taxi-ezeiza-beware-1130743/)

ClementineLdn Sep 16th, 2016 08:55 AM

Taxi Ezeiza - BEWARE!

I have seen this company recommended on here as a trustworthy and reliable way to get from Ezeiza airport into Buenos Aires. After the experience I just had with them today, I will never be using them again. I used them several times before today and had good experiences - I told them where I was going, paid my money, got a slip with the address of my accommodation on it, and was introduced to my taxi driver who was waiting right there in the terminal and took me out to the taxi. It was efficient and felt secure.

Well, now everything has changed. I paid my money and was left waiting over 25 minutes (and there were hardly any other customers at all!) until a man finally came in and was 'assigned' to me. I assumed he was my taxi driver, as this is how it worked before, so I let him take my suitcase (he didn't really even give me an option to say no) and we went outside. It then became clear that he wasn't my driver but just someone to take me out to where the driver would be picking me up. There wasn't even a car ready - on top of the 20 minutes I waited in the terminal, I had to wait another 5 minutes with this guy until a taxi pulled up. The guy who brought me outside then demanded a tip, which I refused, firstly because I honestly had no change at all (that's why I used this service!), secondly because he literally pulled my suitcase about 20 feet - if it had been made clear to me that he was NOT my driver, I'd have done it myself, thirdly because I use this pre-paid and rather overpriced service precisely to avoid having to take out pesos at the airport and try to figure out the current exchange rate after a 20-hour journey, fourthly because I was already very annoyed and unhappy with the substandard service and long wait and fifthly because he didn't even take ALL my luggage. He wheeled the suitcase and left me with a 20kg backpack on my back, so he wasn't even helpful at all. He then asked again more aggressively, really trying to guilt me, and I said 'sorry, no, I really don't have any money'. He then asked a THIRD time when I was getting into the taxi. This is little more than a scam in my eyes - Taxi Ezeiza are letting on that the price you pay is all inclusive, up front, when really you are then harassed by these 'porter' guys who have no role other than to manipulate people into giving them a tip for doing nothing at all.

I don't see any reason to use this company now. Their prices remain high but they're not providing any of the big selling points they used to. If I wanted to get harassed into tipping someone for dragging a bag 20 feet and then bundled into a random taxi, I would use one of the companies which charge 1/3 of the price. What a horrible welcome to Argentina.

dwdvagamundo Sep 16th, 2016 10:14 AM

Sorry to hear that, as I am planning to use that service. Maybe a bus or remis?

Scarlett Sep 16th, 2016 10:32 AM

You had one bad experience ?
Try not to let a bad taxi dealing ruin an entire trip.. that would be overkill in a big way.

avrooster Sep 16th, 2016 10:39 AM

I assume the cab you boarded was white?

Anyway, the most reliable are the companies which take credit cards. They are all located just after you exit customs. The best known is Tienda León.

ClementineLdn Sep 16th, 2016 01:07 PM

Scarlett - Yes, but having checked Trip Advisor, it seems that this is the way Taxi Ezeiza do things now. Other tourists report having been bullied into tipping this guy. Of course it's not going to ruin the trip but it is not a good beginning. The guy was really, really rude and he made me feel awful. It gives a terrible impression of the company. It's just a shame as they used to be so professional and reliable. I thought I'd give a warning as this company is often mentioned here and on other forums.

avrooster - yes, it was white. Taxi Ezeiza now take credit cards - I paid with one, and it is located after customs in the main arrivals hall. I will investigate new options now. I have heard of Tienda Leon but thought that it was a bus/minibus company rather than a taxi company.

avrooster Sep 16th, 2016 01:26 PM

No, Clementine, Tienda León is also the largest "remise" (a car with a driver, but without a meter) company.

As you can see here: http://www.tiendaleon.com/resultados/busqueda/remis/
they charge about 50 dollars.

I have read few (if any) complaints about them.

Have a great time in my country.

ClementineLdn Sep 17th, 2016 04:11 PM

Thanks, avrooster. They're a little more expensive but I'm happy to pay more for a good service! Will give them a try next time.