Take the perfect panorama photo at Machu Picchu

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A number of people (including some from Fodors) have asked me "how did you do that?" when I showed them the panorama photo I took of Machu Picchu a couple weeks ago. <b>Here is the photo: http://photos.patpom.com/5101465 </b> Taken on April 4, 2011 (my birthday : ) Click on it to get the full resolution. It is a composite of 14 photos taken in succession--and you can do it too.

It is actually very easy and anyone can do it--even with just a point and shoot camera. I'm going to tell you exactly how in a couple of steps.

1) it is nice to have a perfect day--I can't help you with that : )

2) climb up to the point in the photo

3) stand in a comfortable stance and decide ahead of time how much of the panorama you want to take in.

4) hold your elbows tight to your body and turn to the far left.

5) in a smooth motion, start taking photos with a 40-50% overlap (very important) of each photo. One photo per second is a good speed. If you have an ultra wide angle like I did, you can shoot horizontally. If you don't have a wide angle, you should shoot vertically (otherwise your photo will be too skinny) I took 14 photos. You could take more or less. It is not science, it is art, but you need to provide enough overlap information to the software so it can do a good analysis.

6) When you get home, download microsoft ICE (image composite editor) software (free) here: http://snips.ly/KUOIK9 . (there are a number of stitching programs, but I like this one best--it only works with a PC--but there are Mac programs available)

7) All you have to do is "drag" all your photos into the stitching software and the software does all the work. Seriously--it is that easy.

8) Done. : ) Congratulations.

PS: I have some wonderful photos from MP, Cusco and the Sacred Valley that I will try to process this weekend and post them with a brief trip report. I just loved Peru. Thanks for everyone's help and tips. Priceless!
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:52 AM

I am going to download te program, then practice at home this weekend!
Old May 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Getting excited lcuy? I'm so jealous you are going to Peru next week!!
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Superb photo, thanks for sharing.
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
P.S. Enjoying your other galleries as well. Just went through Egypt, will check out the others. Nice work!
Old May 5th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Your photo was just amazing! Crystal clear and attractive!! I feel like visiting Peru and take a better picture and challenge yours !! I don't know when i will be able to make it though .. I'm waiting for the right time to American airways letters sent so that i get a good job there.. But one day i will make it to Peru and hope that will be soon..
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:46 AM

That is one niiiice photo BostonHarbor. Nothing I took up there turned out nearly as well, with or without trying to stitch it. Congrats!
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Nelson, Clifton and Amy. I was also very, very lucky to have such a perfect day the first week of April. There is another wonderful place to get a panorama on the road above Pisac. I wanted to show my dad how the farming was still being done and that there were no foothills in Peru. Any driver will know where this place is, there is a place to park and even a concrete block to stand on. (I however stepped a bit down the hill so I could get the plant on the right hand side of the photo: http://photos.patpom.com/5101465#imageID=127350119

I was in photography heaven in Peru. I took over 2000 photos. I was going to really go through them this weekend, but I decided I needed the new iMac. My photo files are massive and my old mac too slow. Time to move on : )
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Oops, it posted rather than "preview" (operator error). So, I'll have a trip report with photos in about 10 days.

In the meantime, if anyone is going anywhere else in the world, I have some fun albums at my photo website www.patpom.com
Old May 6th, 2011, 05:01 PM

You sure lucked out with the weather, BH! What a STUNNING photo.
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM

Glad you had a great day for your birthday in Peru.