Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Taca flight to Lima/Cuzco via San Salvador - anyone familiar w/ this route? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/taca-flight-to-lima-cuzco-via-san-salvador-anyone-familiar-w-this-route-825923/)

annabelle2 Feb 10th, 2010 01:51 PM

Taca flight to Lima/Cuzco via San Salvador - anyone familiar w/ this route?

I posted last fall about airfares to Peru (thanks for all the tips) but now have a specific question, thus the new post. Still have not bought my ticket to Peru for July trip, but am thinking about buying a Taca LAX-San Salvador-Lima-Cuzco ticket for about $900.

This is my first So America trip (my previous travel has mostly been Asia/Europe/Mexico) so I am not familiar with Taca. My main concern is the layover in San Salvador is just 1 hour/13 minutes, and I wonder if that is enough time, since I am not familiar with that airport. Has anyone flown this route?

I am also looking at Lan flights out of LA, non-stop to Lima and then on to Cuzco, but the price has been hovering around $1200-$1300 - a little steep for me. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, for you Peru experts, would you buy now for July travel to Cuzco, based on your experience? I tend to wait a long time to buy for Europe, but not sure about Peru...I know the Lima-Cuzco flights are limited, and that July is high season, so thinking I need to buy now.
Thanks!

Jeff_Costa_Rica Feb 10th, 2010 02:16 PM

First of all, Taca is a good airline and San Salvador is an efficient airport for connections. You don't have to go through immigration or customs because you never officially enter El Salvador. You get off your incoming plane and go to your new gate, and the Taca gates are all right together.

Obviously, no one can say for sure about future fares, but I'd be surprised if you find anything much lower than $900 RT for July. It's the highest of the high season and Taca has fewer flights to Cusco than LAN does. If you are certain of your dates and live with the restrictions of the fare, I'd grab it soon.

BabsB Feb 10th, 2010 02:29 PM

We have flown Taca to Honduras and changed planes in San Salvador. The airport is very small. The gates were right next to each other. They had set up a folding table and we lined up to have our bags searched. It went very fast. The most unusual thing we saw was all the local folks carrying lots of bags and boxes of fried chicken onto the plane!

qwovadis Feb 11th, 2010 05:20 AM

Have done it Taca is great

plenty of time no worries

qwovadis Feb 11th, 2010 05:23 AM

You also might check/monitor www.spiritair.com

very cheap flights US Lima on sales

last year got down for $88/tax each way

$239 RT all in AMAZING value.

It is generally better to book Jan/Feb for best

summertime prices.

annabelle2 Feb 11th, 2010 10:33 AM

Thanks - you guys are the best! Great to get some personal experience feedback on Taca/San Salv airport. All sounds good.

I almost always travel (even for longer trips than this two week one) with a carry-on bag only, but with hiking boots and jackets, etc, was planning to check the bag. Do you recommend, or would you stick with carry-on for this route?

I think I may go with this Taca flight and buy soon, but I will check spirit air, too. Are they a Peruvian airline?

Thanks much!
Anne

mlgb Feb 11th, 2010 11:09 AM

Spirit doesn't fly direct from the west coast and SA...you'd have to go to Florida first..painful.

Do you HAVE to go in July? In June you may get a good fare on LAN direct LAX to Lima. It's on sale now.

You could always go LAN to Lima and then book Taca separately to Cusco.

http://www.lan.com/promociones/data/...s.html#lax_lim

annabelle2 Feb 11th, 2010 02:46 PM

Yes, mlgb - I am going with my Spanish class, and we are meeting in Cuzco. Date is firm! I saw this sale - too bad!
Thanks for Spirit tip!

Also just got a link to an article in a US newspaper about upcoming airfare/hotel discounts being promoted by the Peruvian gov't since the mudslide in Aguas Calientes. According to the article, the discounts will be for locals first, than international travelers. I'm going to see if I can find more info...

mlgb Feb 11th, 2010 06:41 PM

Good luck, I have a feeling if MP is opened up again by July, there won't be any discounts, if anything it will be even more hectic from the people who got closed out earlier in the year.

I assume you'll be passing thru customs at Lima airport and then probably have a wait for the Cusco flight. There is a great gelateria upstairs in the food court at the airport..4D. Don't miss it! (I recommend the tamarindo if it's available).

PRandFam Feb 14th, 2010 10:20 AM

We've used Taca before on a trip to Guatemala and also were contemplating whether to use this airline to fly to Lima this summer. The airport is compact, so you should have no trouble with connections. El Salvador is on the dollar. Flights to and from certain parts of the United States that have large immigrant communities might expect to be in lines behind people with very large suitcases. We live in the Washington DC area and in the summer of 2008, TACA recommended getting to the airport *3* hours ahead of department. That was sound advise at the time--I don't know how the economic downturn has affected that picture. The fried chicken is from a Guatemalan-based chain, Pollo Campero I think, that has much more tasty fried chicken than what you can find in the states. I am no fried anything fan but it was good, and my teenagers loved it.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Feb 14th, 2010 12:08 PM

The bit about three hours and large suitcases mentioned above applies only if you are checking in in San Salvador. It shouldn't have anything to do with making connections there.

annabelle2 Feb 17th, 2010 01:35 PM

Thanks again for San Salv/Taca tips, guys!

annabelle2 Apr 7th, 2010 01:52 PM

Quick follow up - did book this flight finally. Prices started to inch up yesterday, so made the reservation for early July and am feeling excited about the trip. Thanks again.

mlgb Apr 7th, 2010 02:12 PM

Have a great time annabelle2.

Pollo Campero has some locations around the LA area, including one in my town, Long Beach. The beans are very good.

The Peruvian-style chicken that is spit roasted over a wood fire is popular here also, but a lot of cities don't allow the wood ovens for air pollution reasons!

annabelle2 Apr 7th, 2010 02:29 PM

thanks, mlgb. I don't live in LA (I'm in northern CA),but it is a good gateway for me - my parents are there so I can visit them after the trip. I'll have to check out Pollo Campero when I'm down there.