Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Star Peru and Travel Agent woes - Jeff_Costa_Rica or others with Peru exp.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jeff (or anyone else who's dealt with making their own Peru travel arrangements),

I'm in the process of rebooking a Peru trip that was originally supposed to happen last November, but had to be put on hold due to an illness of one of my traveling companions.

We had purchased domestic airfare between Lima and Cusco on Star Peru Airlines last year and now need to change the travel dates to May, 2009.

I contacted Star Peru via email with my request and they responded promptly asking for some additional information in order to make the new flight bookings. I emailed them the info and waited for their response... and waited... and waited (for more than a week)... I sent follow-up email and waited some more!

I finally called them yesterday and talked to a nice lady who took the information from me (that I had already emailed) and told me my reservations were all set. I asked if she would email me the confirmation info for the flights and she said she would. It's been about 24 hours now and I've received no confirmation email from Star Peru. I know it can take a while for correspondence to get back and forth, but I'm just wondering if I need to keep hounding them based on earlier non-responsiveness. I'd hate to arrive in Lima only to discover that my flights aren't really reserved to Cusco the next morning!

I've had an even more frustrating experience with a Peruvian travel agent (Enjoy Peru) who was very good to answer my emails last year. This year for the re-scheduling of some hotels, I contacted her again and she told me we'd be able to rebook the airport Ramada with no difficulty. Since I had already paid for the room voucher last year, all I needed to do was pay the 2009 rate increase and she could issue the new voucher. She last emailed me back on February 20th to let me know what the rate increase would be and I have not heard from her since despite several follow-up emails on my part. Today, I tried to call her office in Lima 2 separate times and no one picked up the phone. Aaarrgh! I'm not sure what to do in this case. I don't want to just lose the money I've already paid. Today I found an email address for the director of the travel agency and sent him an email about the situation. If he doesn't respond, I'm not sure what else I should do (especially if they won't answer the phone).

Does anyone have any suggestions?? I thought Jeff might have some since he travels to Peru frequently, but I welcome anyone's feedback. Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM

Search "Enjoy Peru" in this forum.

I would not send more money to Enjoy Peru.

http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...vel-agency.cfm

I guess you can just keep hounding Star Peru. Good luck.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mlgb,

I wondered what was going on with Enjoy Peru because they had been quite good to work with last year when I originally contacted them.

I actually did get a quick email response from the director at Enjoy Peru after I made this post this afternoon telling me that they had been forced to suspend their operations for a while. He offered an apology, but I guess the $$ I paid last year is gone unless Ramada has a record of the transaction. It's frustrating, but I guess it's not the end of the world. At least we were only going to stay at the Ramada for one night. I'll contact Ramada directly and see if they can help.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Very interesting, cmerrell. "Forced to suspend their operations for a while," yet they are still soliciting money from customers!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 06:13 AM

cm also if you paid by credit card

you can get money back from CC company for fraud...

might check www.starperu.com

be sure your flights were paid for...
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM

cmerrel, call Ramada directly and let them know your experience as they advised me that they believed Enjoy Peru/Enjoy Corp. is still OK (they're still doing business with them?) I did contact them (Ramada) as I have a similar experience with you. My contact person is Ursula Seminario, tel. # 7112020 or 7112000 – 830. Good luck!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info qwovadis and Myda. I will contact Ursula at the Ramada to see if she can help me.

Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM

www.hotelclub.com

usually has good prices on the ramada

if you end up needing to book a room and pay yourself...

best of luck...keep us posted...
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Cmerrell, here's Ursula's (Ramada) e-mail address: [email protected]. Good luck, the only thing she offered me was another reservation at a higher rate that I paid Enjoy Corp./Enjoy Peru.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM

I have just found out yesterday that Enjoyperu.com is in bankruptcy, they don´t even pay their own workers. A friend of mine was working there and she told me everybody is taking computers, printers, faxes to their homes in account for their lost salaries... so be careful
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I actually did receive an email from someone at Enjoy Peru after I made the original post, and they told me they were being forced to suspend all operations (they were hoping it would only be temporary). I went ahead and booked directly with the Ramada.

That is unfortunate for your friend. The woman I was working with at Enjoy Peru last year was very nice and I am sorry to hear that she's probably out of a job as well...
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 08:19 PM

I'm so sorry I missed this thread, cmerrell. I was away for a few weeks tending to a couple of illnesses in my family.

I'm not sure I can add much at this point. I'm happy that you were able to rebook with the Ramada yourself.

The Star Peru website does offer you the option to print your E-ticket. Go to:

www.starperu.com

Click on ENGLISH, and then PRINT E-TICKET. It gives you two boxes for "Reservation Code" and "Last Name." I'd try typing in your last name, then SEARCH, and see if it gives you a resevation. I don't know if that's all you need, but I'd give it a try.

I find in Latin America that E-mail just doesn't have the urgency that it does in the U.S. It can be frustrating waiting for replies that never arrive.

Star Peru is a reputable airline, so if they say your reservation is confirmed, I'd trust that. I would still want something in hand though.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding, Jeff! I figured you were busy. Over on the Costa Rica forum we're still hoping you might make it down to BdC in June when a bunch of us will be there.

Thanks for the suggestion for Star Peru. I'll see if I can get the tickets printed out...