Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Southern Pantanal...best lodges for wildlife & comfort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2012, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because of the logistics of our trip, we are looking at the southern Pantanal versus northern. Most of the best known lodges (Caiman, etc) are northern but we need info to help us with a short trip of 2-4 nights in the Southern Pantana and 2 nights in Bonita. Any suggestions of lodges that have most of the creature comforts as well as near water....possibly with a pool, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 10:26 PM

Hi,

Caiman Lodge is in the Southern Pantanal, http://www.amazontravel.com/caiman.a...FcgopAodtDg2xw.

I can recommend Fazenda Barranco Alto which I found to have great wildlife, be very comfortable and a high standard of guiding. I don't remember a pool though.

You might also like to check out Embiara Lodge http://www.embiara.com/ - not sure if they have a pool.

Happy planning,

Pol
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 02:48 PM

I don't know if this information is too late, but I would suggest Pantanal Ranch Meia Lua, http://www.pantanalranchmeialua.com. The ranch is located in Miranda, but they do pick up from Campo Grande.

I am living in Brazil at the moment, and have visited the Pantanal quite a few times and stayed with various lodges and on various Fazendas and this ranch was by far the best. They organised a bunch of different tours with me so that I got to visit other areas of the region, I went horse riding through the hills, saw too many animals to count (Giant Anteaters and Armadillos) and even saw the Jaguar for the first time on the Miranda river. I also got the best video of a Giant otter on the Estrada Parque. I will never forget it. The owners were so kind and thoughtful and the Guides were really knowledgeable, especially considering I was traveling alone.
Anyway, hope this helps!
Lil