Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

South American trip in the post-Christmas period

Apr 4th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

I posted a query on the Europe board too, as I haven't decided on a destination or even what continent. As background, I have traveled a fair bit in Europe and Mexico, and I've had one trip to Argentina (Buenos Aires and Iguazu, with 6 hours in Brazil and an hour in the Santiago airport).

Due to work, it's very convenient to take a vacation in the post-Christmas period. So if you were to go to South America then, where would you go? I am very interested in Chile, but of course would definitely consider seeing more of Argentina too. I suspect this is not the best time for Brazil, Peru, etc. but correct me if I am wrong. Assume a 2-week trip.
Apr 5th, 2010, 08:29 AM

Chile offers so much.Fly to Santiago and visit this city, visit Valparaiso,Wine Country, fly to the the Lake country, Chiloe Is, Patagonia, endless possibilities.
Apr 5th, 2010, 12:14 PM

From Christmas until the last weekend in February is high season. February is usually a bit more expensive than January. So you need to think about what flights you want and where to go. Chile is really very long, so you will not see everything in 2 weeks. Main areas would be Northern desert,Santiago/Valparaíso/wine valleys, Lake district, Patagonia and Easter Island.
I don't know Brazil, but the Perú highlands (Cusco/Machu Picchu) will be in full rainy season. That is why it is not the best time to visit although the coast and jungle are fine.
Apr 5th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Would you conside going back to Argentina to another part of the conuntry? We went to the NW and it was truly spectacular.
Apr 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Yestravel, do you think the NW in midsummer would be too hot? That's my main concern. Also, I don't want to drive, and I tend to be a budget traveler, or at least lean in that direction, so I think hiring a driver is out.
Apr 5th, 2010, 04:17 PM

We were there in Nov and it was hot in the day, but cooled down considerably at night. We drove ourselves, so not sure how good the alternatives would be. Hiring a driver would be pricey for sure. Flintstones on this board is a guide up there and provides lots of useful info to posters. If u post a question about the NW she'll be bound to answer.
Apr 5th, 2010, 06:20 PM

With a short time span you are going to need to fly between destinations. If you are one of the nationalities charged a reciprocity fee (USA, Canada, Australia. Mexico)entering Chile at the Santiago airport, you will also have to pay to enter Argentina if you land at Ezeiza. I am not sure what flights there are between Santiago and other airports which don't go through Buenos Aires or look into flights from Santiago which fly into AEP, Aeroparque rather than Ezeiza. Two reciprocity fees each is a lot of money if you are budgeting.
It is important to work out the logistics of your flights to make the most of your time and keep fees to a minimum.
Apr 6th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

Huentetu, I think what I would do (and I likely will eventually, even if it's not in this time period) is land in Santiago, and pay the reciprocity fee. I could choose either the American or Canadian one, depending which is cheaper. If I go to Argentina on the same trip, I might bus to Mendoza, and then somehow get back to Buenos Aires, but definitely not on an international flight to EZE if I've paid at Santiago on the same trip. Out of annoyance if nothing else, I'd definitely try to avoid two reciprocity fees!

Because I've left the planning to such a relatively late date (I know it's only April, but that's how it goes with reward flights), it looks like my South American options are few and far between with Aeroplan, so unless things change or I come across an extraordinary deal, I tend to think South America won't be my destination for this trip. But seats can open up, and things can change.
Apr 6th, 2010, 05:24 AM

Keep an eye on Aerolineas Argentinas flights from Santiago to Buenos Aires which fly into Aeroparque, as you only pay the fee at Ezeiza airport.
The bus ride over the Andes is spectacular and well worth doing (about 7 hours but delays at customs can be long in summer) and Mendoza is worth a visit for wine tasting. Then a flight to BA.
Even if the trip is not possible right now, keep it all in mind for the future
Apr 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM

I went to Santiago and Torres del Paine (flew to Punta Arenas) in January. TdP is amazing if you like outdoors and glacier-type scenery. The W is a moderate hike that can be done it bits and pieces. You can also cross into Argentina in Patagonia and visit Fitzroy, Perito Moreno, etc as well as do a cruise thru Beagle Channel, etc.

I don't think you're too far out to book this, but it is expensive down there!