Some questions on Galapagos

Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some questions on Galapagos

We will be traveling to a wedding in Quito in August next year so we are looking at flights and trip options to also spend a week in the Galapagos. I have the Barry Boyce book but am having a bit of trouble putting all the pieces together. For example:

1- is there a website / easy way to see a listing of boats by day of the week departure? Given the wedding we'd probably like to be a Monday to Monday boat or Thurs - Thurday but not having much luck sorting that out.

2 - Looking to try and use FF miles. So far I think our best option may be Continental EWR-IAH-Quito but any suggestions there would be welcome.

3- Suggestions for a nice boat for 8 day cruise, around $2500 per person, would be welcome. I'm seeing the very high end at $3500-$5000 and the low end but looking for the in between.

4- is Catamaran the way to go for least chance of overwhelming seasickness?

5 - Is there any risk boats get cancelled entirely and you can't travel on the planned days - i.e. should we leave some time on the back end in case our Monday departure really becomes a Tuesday, etc.? We may try to fit in Otovalo at some point.

Thanks very much!
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM

Guayaquil / Galapgos / Guayquil 375.00$USA per person for 8 Day cruise drop us on line
www.axeltours.com
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 03:19 AM

1. I don't know of one master list (that would be a good idea) but here is a travel agent website that lists alot of the major boats

http://www.galayachts.com/landdive_home1.html

A quick glance would say Thursday looks better than Monday with the boats listed.

3. When I was looking at boats (we went on the Eclipse) the Letty, Eric and Flamingo were also on our list and were more reasonably priced - you might want to check them.

5. I had never heard of that until a recent trip report here - it appeared that the cruise was canceled and consolidated into another boat that left a day later and the poster surmised it was due to not enough bookings. You might want to ask if the departure is guaranteed no matter how many bookings. I don't think it's a big issue given the volume of boats, though.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 06:52 AM

You might find some tickets on http://www.americanlisted.com/
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 04:15 AM

We just booked FF tickets on American Airlines (30,000 miles per ticket) for May travel. We are coming from NE and going through Miami to Quito. There seems to be a lot of availability. The tickets on Continental were more expensive.
m