Santiago, a few questions...Reciprocity fee...BellaVista..Safety

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to put together a last minute trip to Buenos Aires, with a possible, as yet undetermined, side trip to Uruguay, Bariloche, or Iguaza Falls....but my questions pertain to Chile....

I am using ff miles to fly on LAN to B.A. from Los Angeles, and I am permitted a stopover in Santiago. I have never to been to Chile (or Argentina). I am a solo traveler who likes cities. It seems like a wasted opportunity not to stop in Santiago for two or three nights on the way to Buenos Aires. A few questions:

Will the recent earthquake affect my trip (I hope this does not sound selfish)? I read in this forum that the airport is using temporary tents; otherwise is it functioning ok? Is the city and its infrastructure in relatively good shape?

What is the "reciprocity fee" and how much is it? Since I am only contemplating a quick stopover, this fee could dissuade me.

I stumbled across The Aubrey Hotel online, and it looks very appealing. Is anyone familiar with this hotel? Is Bellavista a good location.

Is safety an issue?

Is a day trip to Valparaiso a good idea/ easy/ worth it?

Has anyone had experience with LAN? ..Specifically with their business class?

Thank you.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 11:29 PM

A lot of questions.
The airport is fully functional now and the marquees are no longer in use.
The reciprocity fee is US$131 for US citizens, same as in Argentina. While the marquees were in use they were not charging it, but I imagine it is back in place now.
The city is in perfect shape. The metro was running the day after.
A friend took his wife to stay at the Aubrey for their anniversary and loved it. It is expensive though. The hotel restaurant (Pasta y Vino) doesn't get such rave reviews but mainly because the small size of the portions is an issue. Bellavista is a good location for nightlife and restaurants. You have easy access to the Cerro San Cristobal for the view and to one of Pablo Neruda's houses.
A day trip to Valparaíso is worth it.
LAN is an excellent airline.
If you do one side trip in Argentina, make it Iguazú.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply. Very helpful. Now I just have to figure out flights, and I should be there soon.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:31 AM

I just came back from Santiago last week. I'm from there.
For 12 days we drove all over the South, from Santiago to the epicenter of tsunami/earthquake, Vina, Santiago.

The airport is fully functional, of course not as it used to be before the earthquake. The metro has not had any problems that I know, we used it when we are in Santiago. Last day we lunched in Bellavista. Bellavista is the Hippiest part of Santiago, it's safe, you have the choice of dining on the little pubs with tables on the streets or going to a more upscale restaurant. Gosh I wish I was there...
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:34 AM

I forgot! If you want to stay in a nicer part of Santiago, Providencia is the best.
Close to the metro along the area, you can try to stay were we do Santiago Park Plaza. Parkplaza.cl You have the option of renting an apartment for $80 or staying in the main hotel, breakfast included and 4 metro stations away from Bellavista and if you just want to walk you are in the middle of everything, pubs, metro, shopping, etc.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 07:11 AM

Hi

The airport is functioning again, you will not have any problems. Bellavista is hip and buzzy, with a sense of chileans enjoying themselves. if you are here for just a few days and particularly if you are a single traveller, it's a great place to hang out. Everybody who comes to Santiago ends up coming and loving Bellavista You have everything on your doorstep, the san cerro cristobal, the funicular, pablo neruda, lots of restaurants and live bars, it is also walking distance to mercardo central, plaze armas and downtown The Aubrey is fantastic, you could not ask for better, i have been there for dinner and checked out the hotel, it is a jewel for Santiago. Enjoy our beautiful city
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. The Aubrey does look great, but I think I might use Starwood points at the San Cristobal Tower instead; unfortunately, The Aubrey has a fairly restrictive cancellation policy, and sometimes I need to change plans due to work. So we'll see where I end up? It is amazing how little I know about Santiago (and Chile); so I am really looking forward to this brief visit, hopefully a preview of more lengthy trips in the future.