Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Safety in southern Peruvian jungle? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/safety-in-southern-peruvian-jungle-776931/)

Luna1 Apr 3rd, 2009 06:12 PM

Safety in southern Peruvian jungle?

A week or so ago the NYT had an article about increased cocaine trafficking and the resurgence of the Shining Path in the southern Peru jungle, largely along the Apurimac River. We are considering going to one of the lodges near Puerto Maldonado in June - not exactly the same area but quite near. Is this foolish? What have people been hearing or experiencing? Obviously I don't want my family hurt, but I also don't want it to feel dangerous in that way - we are bringing our kids. We are usually not overly nervous travelers, and have travelled a lot with our kids, but this issue is new to us. any thoughts, news, or comments appreciated.

Elainee Apr 4th, 2009 12:53 PM

We stayed a Tambopada Jungle Lodge in the Puerto Maldonado a while ago. The jungle is hot, humid and the wildlife hard to see because the jungle is so dense. Plus our lodge had no electricity. Nice cabins, private bath, good food, but it was "a jungle". No light after dark except candles. Are your kids prepared for this??? We are not sorry we went, but it was not confortable being there. Puerto Maldonado was a very poor town. As for Shining Path...I do not know current activity, rifles were being carried by police and others when we were there.

RBCal Apr 4th, 2009 02:49 PM

Corto Maltes near Puerto Maldonado has electricity, private baths and excellent food. Vizcatan is far from Madre de Dios and you shouldn't have any problems.

The Amazon is amazing and shouldn't be missed. The wildlife rivals or exceeds Africa and Australia.

qwovadis Apr 4th, 2009 03:09 PM

Review consular advisories for a heads up

Sendero helps narco-traffickers tran-ship these days...

as long as you are in top tourist lodges you should be fine

www.andeantravelweb.com good info

for me Manu Biosphere reserve better area

nice places like www.manuecolodge.com

Luna1 Apr 4th, 2009 05:05 PM

Thank you, everyone - it is complicated, and I appreciate your advice!

P_M Apr 5th, 2009 06:05 AM

Last year I flew to Puerto Maldonado and I stayed at Amazonas Posadas. Your biggest danger there is mosquitoes. Please don't miss this opportunity, you will love it.

Elainee Apr 5th, 2009 08:23 AM

"The wildlife rivals or exceeds Africa" Having been to both..this was not my experience. Comparing wildlife sightings means comparing open plains with large (very large) numbers of mammals to jungle terrain with monkeys and wonderful birds at mineral licks and lots of insects. Even the lions and cheetas are right out where you can see them. Many less mammals in the jungle and it is hard to see them. Plus travel in jungle is by boat or foot compared with jeep. No herds in the jungle. A totally different experience. And the weather is a lot less comfortable. Not to say you should not go to the jungle. We went, but have realistic expectations.

RBCal Apr 5th, 2009 09:48 AM

I too have been to both as well as Australia and found the wildlife viewing outstanding in the Amazon. Obviously there are no elephants and lions in South America and "they are different experiences". However, there are many capybara, caiman, colorful and varied birds, monkeys, etc. The biggest danger besides mosquitoes are the fer de lance, which I saw several.

RBCal Apr 5th, 2009 09:51 AM

You also won't see giraffes, zebra, rhinos, hippos in the Amazon, just in case you didn't know this.