Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Safety concerns in Lima? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/safety-concerns-in-lima-1676043/)

Airedaleamiga Jan 4th, 2020 11:12 PM

Safety concerns in Lima?

We are looking forward to spending several days in and around Lima before beginning a cruise. After reading so many articles and blogs about safety concerns for tourists, I didn't know if there was as much crime and threat to tourist safety as it seems to indicate in what I am reading. Should I be alarmed? One person even mentioned people attacking cabs at stop lights to demand money of tourists driving from the airport to their hotels. This seems pretty extreme! Anyone with recent experience in Lima?
Thank you, Peggy

crellston Jan 5th, 2020 05:05 AM

We have spent several months in Lima since we first started visiting Peru some 12 years ago. We have never experienced any problems whatsoever and have always felt safe there. Of course you should take the same precautions you would in any large city - don’t flash jewellery or cash in busy places, take care around ATMS, don’t go walking down streets away from the crowds etc.but these are just sensible precautions for any large city.

Taxis can be problematic but only if you are not careful. Always get your hotel or restaurant to call one for you and never hail one on the street. Prebook taxis to and from the airport online with someone like Taxidatum or use the official taxi booth inside the airport. Never, ever pick up a taxi from outside the airport.

The areas which are most popular with tourists are Miraflores and Barranco and we have always found these areas to be perfectly safe at night. There are a lot of sights to see in Centro Historico but far fewer people seem to stay there as it has a reputation for being less safe at night.

relax and enjoy Lima, it is a wonderful city..

mlgb Jan 5th, 2020 07:42 AM

I would echo crellston's remarks. I know that the route from the airport to hotels is daunting for first time visitors as it goes through some back streets Yes, periodically there have been delinquents doing a smash and grab of bags at stoplights along that route. I have no knowledge of any recent incidents and not sure if your sources are reporting old incidents. Still out of precaution when traveling with luggage, it should be in the vehicle's locked trunk. Nothing visible on the seat of your vehicle, including purses. (Keep passports hidden under clothing, and then locked up in your room or hotel safe for the duration). When you are out and about it's as safe as anywhere although I wouldn't go hanging my bag on the back of a chair or leaving a cellphone on the table unattended. I understand Uber is now available for transfers between places, although I've just used the Metropolitano or local buses.

I also endorse taxidatum for your transfers from the airport, as well as dropoff at the Callao cruise port. They have an online website with transparent pricing where you can book in advance. When they were first starting, I had the owner as my driver. Great guy although now they have many drivers, many have limited English fluency now. However, one of the advantages is that you get a "meet and greet" at the airport which is reassuring for first time visitors and they will have directions to your lodging. I've had safer drivers with them than the official "Taxi Green" contractors. You in USD or local currency at the end of the ride.

You haven't asked for lodging recommendation but I know that many have liked my simple "home away from home", 3B Barranco ( a small hotel, not a "hostel") https://www.3bhostal.com/
Note that they do not have A/C. As to whether it's needed, maybe if you are going around February. The days are too humid for me, but it's better at night.

Airedaleamiga Jan 5th, 2020 09:21 AM

Thank you so much! I was startled when I read some of these cautionary blogs. I feel MUCH better now,

Airedaleamiga Jan 5th, 2020 09:22 AM

Thank you! We were certainly follow the advice of both you "crellston". We will need to get to the cruise ship too.