My friend and I will be travelling to Rio in June. We are two young women and want to be safe but also see some less touristy areas and enjoy traditional food. We aren't sure exactly where we are staying but will stick to somewhere on the subway route as other commenters said it was the most convenient and safe We are planning to go to Ipanema beach, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and the art museums. Is Lapa safe to go out at night? It sounds very fun but some commenters say it is not safe and some recommend sticking to the main streets. We are more worried about violence than petty theft. Do any locals or travellers have restaurant recommendations? Or any neighbourhoods that have fun things to do and see that are under the radar?
Marika and Alanna
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Chiloe in January - need input!
- 2 Chile -Valparaiso to San Antonio Chile by car
- 3 Preliminary thoughts -- Peru and a bit of Bolivia?
- 4 Valparaiso Hotels - January 2018
- 5 Cusco Hotel Suggestions
- 6 Air Tickets to Peru Advice Needed
- 7 My trip report from Argentina
- 8 Advice on Chile itinerary
- 9 Santiago/Valparaiso/Wine Region - January 2018
- 10 Colombia-Brazil-Chile-Bolivia-Peru (Dec'17-Jan'18)
- 11 Argentina in January (fingers crossed)!
- 12 Advice on Peru Itninerary
- 13 Wanting tips for trip to Brazil
- 14 Private driver Mendoza?
- 15 Torres del Paine - Jan 2018
- 16 Where to spend Christmas & New Year's Eve in Argentina
- 17 Galapagos Islands, a paradise
- 18 last-minute Argentina planning questions
- 19 Advice needed for Colombia
- 20 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 21 La Boca safety question
- 22 San Pedro de Atacama
- 23 More Colombia Itinerary help - beaches
- 24 Travel to brazil under Duel Passports
- 25 need help with my Peru Itinerary : Cusco, Puno Arequipa