Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for travel agent in Chile/Argentina

Old Jan 7th, 2020, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a travel agent that is situated in Chile, not an overseas agent? An Argentinian one would probably work as well.

I want to use it for planning my trip from Iguaza Falls to Santiago and then a trip up to the Atacama Desert.

Thanks

Old Jan 8th, 2020, 11:58 PM

I can’t help with suggestions for agents as we have never used one. Your choice of course, but unless you are looking for a guided or accompanied trip, it is very easy to organise A DIY Trip in that part of the world. Use sites like booking.com for accomodation, airline and bus company sites for transport etc. any tours/guides you want for excursions , say Iguazu are easily arranged locally through your accommodation.

people here or on Tripadvisor will, I am sure, be happy to chip in with suggestions and advice.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Crellston. I don't actually want an agent to plan my trip around South America as am quite confident in my ability to do so. It was really because a local agent can normally pick up much cheaper prices on flights than booking them from Australia. As I don't want a straightforward itinerary, I thought it might be better for them to do it rather than accidentally muck things up with me using a Spanish website. As there are several alternatives I can use I could also pick their brains about the best way to go and see if it betters what I have come up with. I did this when I went to Myanmar and it worked brilliantly. Although I could do it cheaper than an Australian agent, the Myanmar agent could do it significantly cheaper still.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by shandy View Post
Thank you Crellston. I don't actually want an agent to plan my trip around South America as am quite confident in my ability to do so. It was really because a local agent can normally pick up much cheaper prices on flights than booking them from Australia. As I don't want a straightforward itinerary, I thought it might be better for them to do it rather than accidentally muck things up with me using a Spanish website. As there are several alternatives I can use I could also pick their brains about the best way to go and see if it betters what I have come up with. I did this when I went to Myanmar and it worked brilliantly. Although I could do it cheaper than an Australian agent, the Myanmar agent could do it significantly cheaper still.
I've been to all, and Argentina and Chile are nothing like Burma. The major airlines in Argentina/Chile are fully reputable airlines that fly intracontinental routes and are part of the major worldwide alliances (LATAM / Oneworld; Aerolinas Argentinas / Skyteam). They have functional websites, and you can view the flight schedules on Google Flights et all. This isn't Burma everything is backward and you can't make bookings online, can't get accurate flight schedules yourself, etc.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe a South American travel agent would get you a better price. A lot of these South American airlines have cheaper fares for residents (which, IMHO, is unfair, but that's beside the point) and sometimes you might be able to even book the resident fares yourself, but you run the risk of getting caught when you're at the airport. And no reputable travel agent would sell you a resident fare, particularly since you could get caught at the airport.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 11:56 PM

LAX I think you are correct re Argentina in that they still operate a dual pricing on airfares (I got caught out by that on our first visit to Peru!) Not sure about Chile. I agree that an agent is not going to add much value in terms of cost savings as I understand they do in Burma.

Shandy - my wife and I have travelled in that part of the world quite extensively. If you do want any input on itineraries etc. just ask.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 06:28 AM

I don't think a local agent will get a better fare and if you are just booking flights with them they will have a booking charge. The only ones I could recommend are Unique Destinations in Santiago who will book flights for you. They are 100% honest and speak english.
Unique Destinations (South America) Ltda - Unique Destinations in South America
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

LAX, Crellston and Heuntetu, thank you for your replies. I will have a look at Unique Destinations but considering that all I was really trying to do was pick up some cheaper flights (a la the resident's rates) it looks like I should be playing it safe anyway and simply book from here. Your feedback is appreciated.