Search

Need some advise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advise

Wife and I are thinking about a 3-4 week trip to Argentina starting late November. We have done a fair bit of travel to both developed and developing countries. I have been to approximately 80 countries and lived in Europe and Asia for more than 20 years. In the 1990's, I went to South America, mostly to large cities, frequently for work. Quite frankly, I was not taken with any of the cities, although I did think that BA stood above the other places. Also, after so many years of traveling to developing ciuntriesciuntries, I find that my tolerance for minor annoyances - overcharging restaurants, cheating taxis, chaotic airport and bus stations, etc has become quite limited

We have made three trips to Mexico in the past year and particularly like Mexico City for the food and museums. Our main interests are food, slow travel (sitting at a sidewalk cafe watching the world go by), limited visits to museums, visits to places with outstanding sceneryy. The latter being the main reason for thinking about visiting Argentina.

We are now considering a few days in BA, El Calafate, Bariloche and Iguazu Falls. In BA, we are thinking about staying in Recoleta or Palermo. We would like an area with non-touristic cafes and restaurants. Any recommendations for an apartment or small hotel in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have read some opinions that Bariloche is very touristy. Would Mendoza be a better choice. Thanks for your help
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 03:40 AM

We went to BA, Rio and Iguazu Falls in 2013.

For outstanding scenery Iguazu falls certainly meets that requirement. One of the most incredible places we've ever seen!

Stayed at the Dazzler Recoleta Las Heras 2163 Buenos Aires. It wasn't a small hotel, but I recall enjoying the breakfast there and it's close to the Recoleta cemetery.

I remember a nice cafe across from the cemetery that seemed to draw a lot of locals and looked like a nice place to sit and watch the world go by. It might have been this one:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja &uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiWje_Mm_TdAhWOPN8KHX3QAJ4Qjhx6B AgBEAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.labiela.com%2F&psig=AO vVaw03lCg_Xv_GuZ6OwBzF_FRa&ust=1538997744014311

Speaking of getting cheated, we were given a counterfeit 100 by a cab driver in Mexico City on our trip there. I still have it in my desk as a souvenir, LOL.

By your screen name, I guess you've spent time in Thailand. In Bangkok I fell for the 'the temple is closed' I can take you to another one scam, when I went there myself in 2003. After seeing a couple of temples I was taken to a restaurant where I was grossly overcharged. I didn't even realize I was cheated until it was over. It wasn't a lot of money by western standards but annoying, none the less.That's a common scam there and I didn't fall for it, on my trip to Bangkok with my wife, last year, 2017. ' The temple is closed the monks are praying' , LOL.

BTW, Sawadee (or anyone else.) do me a favor and reply to my recent 'Peru fans' trip report on the Fodors South America forum, so that I'll know that reply feature is not blocked. I find it very weird that it's got 400 + views with not one reply (other than my own LOL.) Peru fans (16 nights)

Last edited by Governator; Oct 7th, 2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 05:21 AM

Hi Sawadee,
we have spent a lot of time in Argentina over the years and have really enjoyed our time in BA. We usually rent an apartment and usually in Palermo which covers a huge area and is broken down into a number of sub Barrios. We last stayed in Palermo Soho and used https://www.oasiscollections.com on that occasion. the apartment “The Aerie” in Soho was wonderful as was the service provided which included airport transfers, a concierge service, access to a private club etc. Recoleta is another good option.

I think Argentina will tick many of your boxes and I have not experience any of the annoyances you list interns of overcharging, scams etc. the only issue I have is that getting cash can be problematic. ATMs have high fees and low max withdrawal limits (when they actually work). acceptance of credit cards can also be hit and miss. the country is going through a major financial crisis at the moment with rampant inflations, interest rates at 60% and a currency in rapid decline, careful planning of how and when to pay for stuff is essential.

November is a good time for much of the country. for me the star of the show for scenery is the NW of the country in Salta province. superb scenery and easily visited by renting a car and driving a circuit of the region. some details of a couple of road trips we have taken in the area can be found in our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/categor...ica/argentina/

I preferred Salta to Mendoza and Salta does lend itself to combining with Iguazu.

So far we have only made it as far south as Bariloche and I do regret not carrying on to El Calafate, Perito Merino, Ushuaia etc. maybe next time. Instead we headed across to see the whales on Peninsula Valdez which were an incredible sight! Our time there is also covered in our blog. If you are into wildlife it is well worth considering and I think November should be a good time.

Good to hear you enjoyed Mexico as we are headed of there next month!
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Crellston. Food in Mexico City is fantastic and Uber is the best way to get around. We stay at Tao BnB in La Condesa. The owner, Gisella, is very nice. Our favorite place in Mexico is Oaxaca City
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:10 PM

I did experience a minor taxi ripoff in BA. Although metered there is always the "take the most circuitous route" thing. Taxis were cheap, though

Found the food quite bland and not a good value. Wish I had stayed in Recoleta instead of gritty Palermo Soho..however I have no doubt the peoplewatching would be more "interesting" in the latter.

Museum MABA underwhelming. Do a bit more research before pulling the trigger, as BA was not a great bargain even 2 years ago and one can only imagine what it's like now.

My favorite cities in SA for museums are Lima, Bogotá and La Paz. Good food in Peru and Colombia.

Last edited by mlgb; Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:31 PM.