Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page > Reasonable Itinerary for Cusco/SV/MP and Amazon in 10 days?
Notices

Reasonable Itinerary for Cusco/SV/MP and Amazon in 10 days?

Aug 18th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Reasonable Itinerary for Cusco/SV/MP and Amazon in 10 days?

Looking for input on my itinerary for a 10 day trip to Peru.

Here are my questions and all replies and suggestions are greatly appreciated:

Day 1: Arrive in Cusco at 2:20 PM. Then on to Ollantaytambo (Train, Bus or Taxi?, recommendations?)

Day 2: Ollantaytambo

Day 3: Stay in Ollanta, day trip to Machu Picchu

Day 4: Pisac market and tour the ruins in the morning (are there any options to ship my new llama keychains, blankets and chess set back to the USA?), return to Cusco

Day 5: Fly to Puerto Maldonado/Amazon (any lodge recommendations for a 3 night/4 day trip to the Jungle, Inkaterra looks nice but a bit out of my price range, if you can a recommend a lodge do you know if they have good vegetarian or fish dishes?

Day 6: Amazon

Day 7: Amazon

Day 8: Amazon

Day 9: Return to Cusco

Day 10: Cusco

Day 11: 9 am flight from Cusco to Lima then back home.

My initial plan was to stay in the Sacred Valley/Cusco area and see the various sites, Maras, Moray, Pisac, Machu Picchu, etc. However, I am now intrigued by the Amazon because it seems so close to Cusco and would like to know if this is a reasonable itinerary.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!
Aug 19th, 2013, 01:01 PM

1. Train not an option. Easiest to take a taxi. Hotel can arrange pickup for about $50. Or you can negotiate yourselves depending on your talents it should be around $30. Busses are crowded, doing it with luggage is not much fun.

4. I would just store your purchases at your hotel in Cusco and pick it up when you return from the Amazon.

I haven't been to the Puerto Maldanado Amazon. BTW it is jungle, but that part is not actually on the Amazon river. If you have never been to a tropical rainforest before it's interesting but it isn't something I want to do again..can't handle the humidity anymore.

You can work in Moray and the Salineras easily when traveling between Ollantaytambo and Cusco.

I probably would insert another day between Day 3/4, spend the night after your MP day trip in Ollantaytambo. In the morning after breakfast take a taxi that stops at the sites of Moray and Salineras (and Chinchero). End in Cusco or in Pisac. You can do Pisac just as easily from Cusco,

Also try to switch your days around if possible to do Pisac on Sunday.

And go back to Lima on Day 10. N
Aug 19th, 2013, 10:17 PM

We stayed at Eco Amamazonia lodge. We loved it. The guides and staff were fantastic and it was very affordable.
I am a vegetarian and did not have a problem here.
Aug 24th, 2013, 03:10 PM

We did the same trip for two weeks and were grateful to have those extra days. We spent 4 nights in Ollantaytambo, 3 nights in Cusco, and 3 nights at the Inkaterra resort-- the remaining time was in Lima (we flew Lima to Cusco, Cusco to Puerto Maldonado, and PM to Lima-- all non stop. There is not a need to return to Cusco and you could make your schedule more efficient if you do it this way). This was plenty of time to see/do everything we wanted.

Search this Thread