Search

Easter Island in December

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easter Island in December

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Easter Island for 6 nights (5 full days) and I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible to visit it on your own or is it better to do it with a tour operator?
(I prefer visiting places on my own)
2. Would I be spending too much time?
(I'd like to enjoy the island; not just sightseeing and leave).
3. Is it an expensive place to stay?
(I'ma guesthouse type of guy)
4. Any recommendations concerning where to stay?

Thanks for your valuable help!
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 04:46 PM

1. Yes, you can visit on your own. It is always a good idea to read up on Easter Island so you know what you are seeing and you could arrange a day tour once you are there if you want.
http://www.islandheritage.org/
2.No. A day of rain can set you back a day and there is plenty to see. Scooters can be rented cheaply.
3. More expensive than mainland Chile because everything is either flown in or arrives by Naval vessel. It helps to take some snacks and bottled water with you if you are stopping over in Santiago first.
4. Local people rent out rooms in their homes and this can be a good budget option. They meet all the planes. However, the quality can vary. The advantage is that some let you use their kitchen. Probably around US$30-40 a single.
The Hotel Orongo is right in town, on the main street. Hanga Roa is not large. It is clean and simple. Probably about US$60 a single.
http://www.hotelorongo.com/
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Huentetu for your advice and the links!
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM

1. Is it possible to visit it on your own or is it better to do it with a tour operator? I VISITED INDEPENDENTLY (IN MAY 2008), AND TRAVELED AROUND BY SCOOTER. THERE ARE VERY FEW ROADS (SO YOU CANNOT GET LOST) AND ITS VERY WELL SIGNED.

2. Would I be spending too much time?
(I'd like to enjoy the island; not just sightseeing and leave). I SPEND THREE DAYS AND WOULD HAVE PREFERRED ANOTHER DAY OR TWO. THERE'S PLENTY TO SEE AND DO IN FIVE DAYS. I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO MAKE IT TO SOME SIGHTS, DO ANY EXTENDED HIKES OR SPEND ANY MEANINGFUL TIME ON THE BEACH, BUT COULD HAVE WITH ANOTHER DAY OR TWO.

3. Is it an expensive place to stay? NO, THERE ARE PLENTY OF GUESTHOUSES.
(I'ma guesthouse type of guy)
4. Any recommendations concerning where to stay? I STAYED AT HOTEL TAURA (OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT -- ITS IN LONELY PLANET), AND IT WAS TOWARD THE HIGHER END OF THE PRICE RANGE, BUT IF YOU LOOK AT LP YOU'LL SEE LOTS OF PLACES TO STAY.

I POSTED PLENTY OF PHOTOS IN THIS FORUM THAT YOU CAN FIND BY CLICKING ON MY NAME AND SCROLLING THRU TRIP REPORTS IF YOU'RE INTERESTED.

MICHAEL
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Thit_Cho. You and Huentetu have cleared up all my doubts! I just need to start looking for lodging and I think I'll set.

Daniel.