Patagonia or Peru in November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2019, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are deciding between hiking and walking this November. Patagonia Or Peru? .Never been to either place. Please help us decide!
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 06:33 AM

Whilst not the be all, end all, i would research the weather in both places. I think you will find that Patagonia is just coming into its peak season where as Peru is heading into its rainy season at that time. Of course , climate change may well have an increasing effect especially on the cusp of the seasons which November certainly is. How the current decimation of the Amazon rainforest by fire will affect things is anyone’s guess.

We have done a lot of hiking in Peru, some of which is covered in our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/peru/ . As far as Patagonia is concerned, we loved the area around Pucon in Chile, San Martin de los Andes and the seven lakes area in Argentina but have yet to make it to the far south (but would love to!). I know other forum members have travelled that way and will hopefully chip in with more info.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 12:45 AM

I was in Peru at the beginning of November last year and Patagonia (W Trek and a few days in El Chalten) a few weeks later. I personally enjoyed Patagonia more, I thought the scenery was more beautiful and I struggled with altitude sickness in Peru (I did the Salkantay trek)

Weather wise, we had rain and sunny days for both, though the weather was a little nicer in Patagonia
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 03:31 AM

Torres del Paine (W) for hiking but tack on a week in Peru if you can, for food and culture. Both likely to be extremely crowded. Agree re the benefit of lower altitude in Patagonia. Have not been to Argentine side of Patagonia but thats an option if coming from the east (Peru/ Chile better from US West Coast),