Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   planning a trip to the galapagos (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/planning-a-trip-to-the-galapagos-909646/)

geetika Oct 19th, 2011 01:10 AM

planning a trip to the galapagos

We're planning a trip to the Galapagos for next July and would love to have your suggestions. Have heard about Smatours, who offer a package including airfare from the US, has anyone tried them, how are they? Also want to spend a couple of days at Quito, what could we do?

qwovadis Oct 19th, 2011 03:56 AM

Go a lot have been a lot

www.guanguiltagua.com best reputable local agent/guide

in Ecuador GREAT personal experience with

[email protected]

Smartours.com BBB.org A+ rated best package values currently

$3k or so all in from the US includes your Quito time

If you do not mind going with a group.

Personally would go for 1 of those 2 for safety.

Do beware of all the "expert" touts scammers on the boards

Particularly TripAdvertzier the "experts" there are really

touts/agents posing as "experts" when in fact with them

you will pay hundreds to thousands of $$$$ more than normal.

quotewright.com always wise... Happy Travels!

GalapagosExpert Oct 19th, 2011 04:51 PM

I did a quick search on SMA tours, and they certainly seem like a legit company from their website, but I noticed they sell everything from Scotland tours to Galapagos tours! One thing I would recommend for a destination as spectacular as Galapagos would be to book with an agent or company that works specifically with Galapagos..this way you know that they will know the "ins and outs" of all things Galapagos.

There is lots to do in Quito and surrounding areas: The Teleferico gondola, the colonial city, a day trip to Otavalo market or Papallacta Hot Springs, Mindo is lovely as well. Have a wonderful time.

geetika Oct 20th, 2011 06:55 AM

Thanks for your tips. Yes, I too am a little wary about these big groups, even though the price is good. But of course we probably won't be going to Galapagos again, so the extra is probably well worth it. Some people talk of land tours, what do you think of them, as opposed to a cruise?

ztsipapu Oct 20th, 2011 07:19 AM

I believe that a cruise--preferably nothing shorter than 8-day/7-nights--is the only way to do the Galápagos justice. Land tours consist of going on day trips from the inhabited towns (primarily Santa Cruz and Puerto Villamil). You spend 2+ hours--one way!--on what can be a very rough speedboat ride; you can only do one landing a day. On a cruise, you travel during down times (e.g., during lunch, overnight) and have 2 landings (plus 1 or 2 opportunities to snorkel) each day. Each time the boat stops, the curtain goes up on a new, astonishing adventure. On day trips, you can only visit the islands that are close to civilization; on a cruise, you can travel to the furthest-out islands, which are also the most scenic and have the best wildlife. On the landings that you can get to on day trips, the wildlife tend to live further from the paths, in large part because there is so much more human traffic. On the cruise landings, you often are walking right in the midst of the wildlife, who are carrying on their lives as if you weren't even there. It's amazing!

So definitely take as long a cruise as you can afford, money- and time-wise. You will never regret it!

Tina
trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

GalapagosExpert Oct 20th, 2011 02:20 PM

I agree with Tina (like usual!) . A cruise will get you to more remote places in a more comfotable way! Most of the most popular Galapagos highlights can only be reached by cruise: Espanola, Genoves, Fernandina islands.
Day trips are definitely a good choice for a good "taste" of the islands overall....but as you mention, Galapagos is a once in a lifetime event and the extra money is worth it.
Have a great time.

geetika Oct 22nd, 2011 07:55 AM

Thanks guys, think that decides it for me, a cruise it is! How about a pre-cruise stay on one of the islands, or would we better off spending 2-3 days at Quito?

GalapagosExpert Oct 22nd, 2011 02:03 PM

It really depends on what you want to do/see. Quito has lots to offer, but it is definitely a big city, with a big city feel! (there are certainly many wonderful things to do here, and near here-don´t get me wrong!). I personally would stay a few extra days on the islands first, enjoying the beaches and highlands, and small, safe, island lifestyle!

helen63 Oct 23rd, 2011 04:14 PM

Geetika,

I do not like traveling with tour groups, and resolved never go anywhere with a group again.

However, that said, I did travel with Smartours to Thailand in the past (I could not beat their price at the time).. And many of my friends traveled with them multiple times to various destinations. We liked them, and a feedback from others was always positive. They are good solid company, and provide good value for money, assuming you do not mind large groups.

In this specific case, for Galapagos tour, you will not even feel that you are with a large group that much. You spend most of the time a boat, and just a little time traveling by bus. I would conider them too, but I think I can do by myself cheaper than them. I hope this helps.