Machu Picchu itinerary- impulse buy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2019, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First a little background…..I have been wanting to go to Machu Picchu for years now. DH is not physically able to hike anymore, so we have been doing other trips instead. I kept thinking about it, but there never seemed to be an ideal time. I teach (college), so my vacation times are not as flexible as they were when I was working in biotech. I have a week of spring break at the end of March, and decided to go for it. Unfortunately, this was kind of an impulsive idea and left very little time to plan. I normally plan everything myself, but decided to work with a travel company due to the time crunch. The itinerary below is pretty active, I know. I am reasonably fit (for 55, anyway) and an experienced hiker. If the high altitude or heavy rain are problems, I can adjust my plans. I have gone from sea level to backpacking at 8-10 K before and never had a problem with altitude sickness, so I am optimistic that I can survive going even higher as long as I take it slow : )

Here is what I have:
1. Arrive late night in Lima (two nights in Miraflores)
2. Day on my own in Lima
3. Fly to Cusco then driver/guide for Awandakancha museum and Pisac market, stay in Sonesta Posadas Inca Yucay
4. Driver/guide for walk through Patacancha valley to Ollantaytambo
5. Train to Aguas Calientes and afternoon visit with guide to Machu Picchu, stay in Agua Calientes
6. Hike Machu Picchu mountain then train back to the Sacred Valley, stay in Cusco for three nights
7. Day on my own in Cusco
8. Guide for Vinicunca hike (hope I make it to the top)
9. late afternoon flight to Lima and 12 am flight home

I wish I had more time and that it was not the rainy season, but I think it is best to go and plan to return and see more another time. I am so excited about my trip!

Any suggestions? Comments? Gentle Fodorite-style scolding?

Old Feb 21st, 2019, 05:15 PM
kja

A few comments / suggestions:

You went from sea level to 8 to 10 kilometers above sea level and backpacked? Awesome! I must admit that I don’t know much about hiking at that altitude (isn’t Everest less than 9 K above sea level?) but in any case, you might want to consult the cdc website on altitude sickness and perhaps consult a travel physician (or your personal phsyician) just to make sure that any specific conditions or issues are addressed.

One day is very little for Lima – think through your priorities in advance.

If you haven’t already seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report. The section on Lima starts with post # 67, the section on the Sacred Valley starts with post # 91.
Praise for Peru – A report of my solo month in this amazing country

I hope you enjoy your time in Peru as much as I did!
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 05:37 PM

I'm guessing OP meant 8000 to 10000 ft elevation. You will be interested in seeing how much difference the extra 2000 to 4000 feet elevation makes!

March is not a good month for hiking but if trails are too dangerous there are alternatives.

Patacancha is probably too high to do on Day1 or 2 but you can explore Ollantaytambo town and ruins instead.

Yes do read kjas trip report

In Lima I always suggest 3B Barranco not Miraflores. Use the Metropolitano to get downtown.

Last edited by mlgb; Feb 21st, 2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 05:41 PM
kja

Originally Posted by mlgb
I'm guessing OP meant 8000 to 10000 ft elevation. You will be interested in seeing how much difference the extra 2000 to 4000 feet elevation makes!
I was thinking the same thing! I know I didn't have any trouble until about 8,500 feet, and acclimated to that level fairly quickly. I had less success at 10,000 feet, but at least I never experienced true altitude sickness. I believe Cusco is more than 11,000 feet?
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by kja
I was thinking the same thing! I know I didn't have any trouble until about 8,500 feet, and acclimated to that level fairly quickly. I had less success at 10,000 feet, but at least I never experienced true altitude sickness. I believe Cusco is more than 11,000 feet?
Yup and I think Patacancha is at least that.
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 11:32 PM

To add to the above comments, I would consider reversing your itinerary and leaving Lima until the end. Instead consider flying direct to Cusco and going direct from the airport to Ollantaytambo and from there to MP. By the time you get back from there you should be well on the way to acclimatisation.

Having done a fair amount of high altitude hiking, the one thing I have come to learn is that it is not just about avoiding the very real dangers of AMS but also about gradually adapting and be able to cope with the reduces oxygen levels. Expect to HAVE to take it slowly and rest frequently, at least in the first few days.

One time we went straight from Lima to 3800m in the Cordillera Blanca and from there we hike up to 4800-5000 m which I don’t think I would have coped with unless I had take Diamox. That may be worth considering as an option.

Do read kja’s excellent trip report, one of the most comprehensive in recent times. Also the one by Marigross, again excellent.

Totally agree with Mlgb’s suggestion of staying in Barranco. I am eternally grateful to her for suggesting 3B Barranco to me several years ago. Have stayed there several times since and now would not stay anywhere else. Barranco is a wonderful, quirky and safe part of Lima. Great restaurants and bars and an easy walk to Miraflores and the Metopolitano makes it easy to get around town. There is an entry in our blog about one of our visits to Barranco which may provide and insight and also some stuff on the Sacred Valley @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/peru/
I have just noticed that the entries for Cusco and Machu Picchu have gone missing which I shal have to remedy!

Have fun, it is a wonderful part of the world.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the mix up on the units. I did write "8-10 K" meaning 8-10 thousand feet.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am going to check out the suggested trip reports. One thing I am having doubts about is the excursion to Rainbow Mountain. Some of the descriptions I have read sound pretty intimidating. I think I will come up with a less strenuous alternative just in case.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 11:48 AM

Get a frikkin horse
https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ShowUs...co_Region.html
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 04:28 PM
kja

@ mlgb: LOL! I have now laid aside any and all regrets for not having found a way to get there.

@ AnaBelen: Perhaps you could clarify which, if any, aspects of your plan are open to alteration? You said you had worked with a travel company, so I hadn't thought your hotels open to change. If you can change them, then let me add my wholehearted support to the recommendation for 3B Barranco -- with kudos to mlgb and crellston for helping me find it!
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 09:03 PM

Since you have only one day in Lima I would suggest visiting the Larco and walking around Barranco for street art and galleries. Check Dedalo or Las Pallas. Do see if it's not too late to switch hotels.

I am less a fan of Cusco than others too many touts and bars. Most agencies prefer to have you there because it's easier for their staff and logistics.Altho better restaurants.

Probably too late but I'd drop Rainbow mtn and spend only 2 nights in Cusco at the end. Add another day in Lima.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Mlgb, many thanks for that link. That does not sound like the best way to spend a day! Since I am going to be there during the rainy season, it could have the added attraction of a very muddy trail. I am going to look for something closer to Cucso that is an easier hike and likely to have fewer people.
Unfortunately, it is too late to change my hotel in Lima. Next time I'll stay in Barranco. It sounds lovely.
I am planning to go to the Larco museum. I would also like to see Plaza de Armas, but I don't want to over stuff the day. I will go to the museum in the morning and then take it from there.