COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Peru Suspending Flights from Europe/Asia

Old Mar 16th, 2020, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Peru Suspending Flights from Europe/Asia

From today for 30 days. Stay tuned.

https://elperuano.pe/noticia-mtc-sus...-16-90999.aspx
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 03:40 PM
kja

Thanks for posting, mlgb.
Stay safe.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 09:21 AM

All foreign travel to Peru is now suspended. The airport in Lima is closed.

Last edited by Jeff_Costa_Rica; Mar 18th, 2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Wow.“People have come from the airport as no flights are leaving any more. People are reporting difficulty getting a taxi as movement is legally limited to the shops or doctors.”

Jorga Gec, an architect from Melbourne, told Guardian Australia there wasn’t enough time to get out of Peru.

“We woke up Monday morning to be told Peru were closing the borders at 11pm that day. We had a flight booked at 7am on Tuesday morning and a connecting flight out to Australia from Santiago, but it was too late.

“We spent most of the day at the airport trying to get a flight out. Hopeless – all flights were already booked out. We were hoping Latam [Airlines] would schedule more flights to help get people out, but they were cancelling flights.”

Other travellers in Peru have said their efforts to contact Dfat have failed, and with the embassy closed for 15 days there has been no official advice on what they should do. Some have even been unable to register their presence overseas with Dfat.

The Peruvian government has announced humanitarian charter flights – run by governments seeking to repatriate their citizens – would be available over the next few days. Guardian Australia has asked the office of the foreign minister whether there are plans to do the same for stranded Australians.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 06:42 PM
kja

These are hard times indeed.
I hope you are safe, mlgb, and that you stay that way.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
The Peruvian government has announced humanitarian charter flights – run by governments seeking to repatriate their citizens – would be available over the next few days.
There are so many countries in this situation now that no foreign government could keep up with rescuing its stranded citizens. And if there are no domestic flights, how would someone easily get from elsewhere to Lima? Cusco to Lima is 20 hours by bus. If a charter flight is arranged, would someone in Cusco even make it back to Lima in time?

The website of the US Embassy in Lima basically tells US citizens in Peru they'll need to find lodging for the duration of the crisis. It doesn't sound like the cavalry is coming to the rescue anytime soon.

Last edited by Jeff_Costa_Rica; Mar 18th, 2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kja View Post
These are hard times indeed.
I hope you are safe, mlgb, and that you stay that way.
Thanks kja. You too.

One of my locked at home hobbies is reading local press in Spanish. Probably should stop that.
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 06:58 AM

During questions in the UK Parliament, our geographically challenged Foreign Secretary, Dominic Raab, was asked what he was going to do to assist UK citizens stranded in Lima. He replied that they were taking all possible steps including communicating with the government of the Philippines. So that's that then.
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post

One of my locked at home hobbies is reading local press in Spanish. Probably should stop that.
LOL Mlgb . Probably very sensible in any language. I have frequently considered the same myself with the TV news if only to avoid witnessing the astonishing ineptitude of the vast majority our world "leaders".

Old Mar 19th, 2020, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annhig View Post
during questions in the uk parliament, our geographically challenged foreign secretary, dominic raab, was asked what he was going to do to assist uk citizens stranded in lima. He replied that they were taking all possible steps including communicating with the government of the philippines. So that's that then.
OMG.

I did read that the Lima cluster was sourced from a LATAM pilot, so there's the explanation for the drastic lockdown, I guess. Very few (known) cases otherwise.
There are some 4,000 tourists locked up in Peru (although I can think of worse places to be, no one is allowed out on the streets between 8 pm and 5am!)

The expression of the day "Toque de queda".

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 19th, 2020 at 08:54 AM.