Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Hearing Impaired Solo Female Traveler- PERU: Help me plan my adventure :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hola fellow travelers!

I know everyone usually asks about their itinerary- so I apologize if I'm basically repeating, yet another, similar itinerary as everyone else. Since I'm not traveling to Lima, the Amazon or Nazca- my itinerary is a bit different in all the others here... and I'll be doing most of it solo!

I'll be traveling @2 weeks in Peru- meeting up with some friends in Cuzco to go to Machu Picchu. I have traveled alone twice before- but only to Europe. I've read up on books, blogs, travel sites like Fodors and this is the best itinerary I could come up with places in which I think I'll enjoy. Please feel free to give me feed back and suggestions on where to stay (I prefer safe, clean, intimate/cozy, unique accomodations- hopefully in a lower/mid budget range) and what 'not to miss!'. You will notice Lima is not on my itinerary- I'm not at all into big cities unless there are some REALLY good stuff to see there. I enjoy hiking some but I do not plan to do any overnight hiking treks. I prefer smaller, quaint towns, villages- I am a photographer so I enjoy just wandering around, exploring, taking photos, taking in the culture, people watching.. and I love any 'unique' (mind-blowing) experiences... I dislike having too much time someplace where I feel like I'm just "killing time", sitting around. For this reason, I prefer not to make hotel reservations in advance- in case I don't like someplace or I want to spend an extra day somewhere.

I mention my hearing loss (I hear pretty well but read lips- cannot hear when I'm sleeping with the aides off) because it's important that I feel safe in the places that I stay at. I'll have a vibrating watch to wake me up... I'm concerned that I may accidentally get on the wrong bus or something if something is not expressed clearly to me. I have so many questions- but I know I just need to GO and 'just do it!'

note: I will be spending 4 days in San Juan, PR before I head directly to Arequipa (via Lima). At this time (as the flights have not been booked just yet), it's possible to cut S.J. (beach time) down to 2 days and add those 2 more days in Peru... that is, if I am strongly urged to do so by my lovely readers here.

Day 1: Arrive Arequipa @10 am. explore Arequipa for the day.
Day 2: Head to Colca Canyon. I'm not exactly sure where I'll be going exactly here... but I'm kinda interested in that 'oasis' place.. is it safe to hike alone there? Are there groups/guides heading that way? easy to book a room there?
Day 3: explore C.C
Day 4: C.C. to Arequipa
Day 5: Arequipa to Puno
Day 5: Lake Titicaca, visit Uros- and then overnight stay on L.T. any recommendations for which island to stay on??
Day 6: L.T. to Puno
Day 7: Puno to Cusco- does anyone recommend overnight trips here- so I can have an extra day/some flexibility to work with...?
Day 8: Cusco- I absolutely must be here by 3pm to meet up with friends.- and we're heading to Ollly

**Note: my friends have already reserved rooms and planned the entire Cusco part of the trip (to the end of my trip) but I'll happily welcome suggestions on what not to miss around here***
Day 9: Explore Sacred Valley
Day 10: Agua Calientes
Day 11: Machu Picchu
Day 12: Cusco
Day 13: Cusco
Day 14: Cusco
Day 15: head home

So thank you so much for reading and even more thanks to those who offer up suggestion. I know I typed up alot here! Help me to make this an awesome trip of a lifetime ) Blessings to you all and your travels.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 04:25 PM

ooocasey: when you come to wonderful Argentina, I'll be glad to help.

Have a great time in Perú.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 06:49 AM

I think you have a pretty good itinerary worked out and would change very little, if anything.

There are lots of tour operators in Arequipa so you will be spoilt for choice but does choose carefully as stories about rip offs and low quality tours abound. We spent a couple of weeks there but didn't make it out to the canyon beaches of the earthquake activity - we gave up trying in the end!

We found it real actively easy to book accommodation on arrival in towns in Peru so I would not worry too much on that score but obviously try to get something sorted out in advance if arriving after dark by bus in places like Arequipa, Cusco and Puno where the bus stations are not always the best places.

We have done. Puno to Cusco two ways. The first was by the Inka Express tour bus ( there are now others apparently) which stopped at places along the way. The trip across the altiplano is spectacular and, as a photographer, you will love it. The second time was on an overnight bus to Bolivia vis Cusco which was one of the most uncomfortable bus journeys I have experienced ( and I have had a lot to choose from!) given the choice I would go for the former as it is a journey worth taking in its own right.

Stuff not to miss around Cusco and the SV you will find in any guide book but highlights for me would be

Ollantaytambo
Pisac
Chinchero at sunset ( and the inside of the church there)
The hike from Tambo Machay back down into. Cusco.
Aforesaid Inka Express journey
The smaller "local "markets around Cusco.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 07:01 AM

If this were TA, top poster crellston would be the undisputed DE for that area, so heed his advice, ooocasey.

I would expect him to tell you to heed MY advice, if you were coming to Argentina.

I am tempted to correct crellston's spelling, but will abstain, this time. Just kidding! LOL!

Have a wonderful time in Perú.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 09:14 AM

You are too king Avrooster but I fear the title of "undisputed DE for Peru" must go to mlgb whose advice I have relied upon many times over the years when travelling in that amazing country.

I would of course suggest that anyone follows your impeccable advice when visiting the equally amazing. Argentina, even if you are tempted to correct my spelling - twice! LOL
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 10:53 AM

You went first,crellston!

A good agency for Puno/Lake Titicaca is All Ways, www.titicacaperu.com

I think you can read up on the different community visit option there.

For Ollantaytambo, if you would like to do homestays or visit the weaving community of Patacancha, contact Awamaki http://awamaki.org/
Part of the privilege of visiting Patacancha is that you can photograph the weavers, otherwise the local Quechua people tend to be shy, although in Pisac they are used to tourists, some expecting tips and some of the vendors will just ignore you. But I have taken some of my best ever "people" photos at the Pisac early on (say 9 am) at the Sunday market. I spent a few nights just outside of Pisac at the Royal Inka, there are also smaller hotels in town.

The Aymara around Puno hate even more to have their photos taken.

I don't know if I would go down to the Colca Canyon Oasis on my own if I were you. Not so much because of safety, but because I've heard that coming back up out of the canyon, the hiking is extremely difficult (some said even harder than the Inca Trail). I have also heard that it is easy to get lost! There are lots of small communities on the rim of Colca Canyon. I liked Yanque, which is not too far from Chivay (the main town). You might do what I did, book a one night tour package which includes visiting the condor cross after the first night, and then just stay on another night. I did two afternoon hikes this way, one from the Mama Yacchi hotel to San Antonio ruins in Corporaque, and one from Yanque up to the Uyu Uyu ruins. I also ran into people hiking between towns on their own, who were lost!

Arequipa is also a delight for photographers, I took a lot of photos around the courtyard of my hotel, the Casa de Melgar. By coincidence I ran in to the owner of the hotel in Lima, she owns an antique shop in Miraflores!

Arequipa photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/kiwifann/Arequipa
https://picasaweb.google.com/kiwifan...alinaMonastery

Colca Canyon
https://picasaweb.google.com/kiwifann/ColcaCanyon

Pisac
http://www.flickr.com/photos/buddysa...7630074643072/
Awamaki
http://www.flickr.com/photos/buddysa...57629686882542
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

crellston and mlgb: thank you for your suggestions. It sounds like I can set up hotels/tours when I arrive in town- which is what I prefer to do. I'm hoping by traveling during the (slight) off-season, that I will be able to have a good choice of hotels/tours/buses...

mlgb, thanks for sharing your pics- it looks like an amazing trip and I just can NOT wait!!

thanks again all!