Peru in January

Old Oct 28th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru in January

Hello everyone!
I'm planning a trip to Peru in January, but I'm a bit worried about the rain. I really want to go to Cusco and to Machu Picchu, will the rain be problem? If it doesn't come along with cold weather I can cope with some rain, my main concern is about the roadblocks and mudslides.

I think I'll stay for two weeks, any recommendations on where to go and where not to go will be appreciated (food related recommendations will be specially appreciated, I really want to dig into Peruvian cuisine).

Thanks
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 09:58 AM

We were in Cusco, Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley in January 2006 and had very little rain.....but....unfortunately that's not a great predictor of this year. 2009/2010 is an El Nino year which usually means more rain.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 02:45 PM

And I was there this most recent January and had nice weather. The rain was either overnight or in the afternoon and did not really affect my trip. On the day I went to MP it started raining about 1-1:30 pm.

It is summer so the daytimes are pleasant temperatures at the high altitude of Cusco. Nights can be cold enough to wear warm clothing or sleep under a warm blanket. MP is lower and will be warm.

If you are not hiking the Inka Trail or other overnights, or going to the Amazon I would be less worried about rain. I would allow some flexibility in flying between Lima and Cusco, don't schedule anything for the arrival day in Cusco, just in case the flight is cancelled. Same in the return, allow at least an overnight in Lima before your international flight.

However as said who knows what El Nino will do. We get it in California too, sometimes it also shifts when the rains start as well as how much precip we get.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 04:47 PM

www.weather2travel.com Peru

www.perforless.com gives you an idea

of what you can do in 2 weeks...

Last Jan did www.cruzdelsur.com.pe

Lima Paracas Nasca Arequipa/Colca Cusco/Manu/MP Titicaca

Spent very little had a great time some rain not bad.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Good foodie info here...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JevjtlDxzU ·
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM

There is a great restaurant in Cusco called PachaPapa. Try the chicken stew with yellow chilies. It was not too spicy and really good. I would say stay away from the beef - it is tough no matter how they cook it. Lots of fresh fish/trout - really good.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:15 AM

I enjoyed the Pachacutec Restaurant two doors down from the Inca grill on the Plaza Del Armas. I had their house salad, alpaca steak, potatoes with onion and yuca chips. Just wonderful. I also had their set lunch menu one day. Equally good.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:40 PM

My favorite restaurant in Cusco was Los Toldos chicken, I believe it was on Ave del Sol and a few long blocks down from the Qorikancha plaza, green and white checked tablecloths and wood fired chicken.

Another fodorite has recommended it and gives a better location description than I am able to recall

Cusco-roasted chicken and fries place –(Los Toldos Chicken) the best one is near Ave del Sol/Qera (green and white tablecloths) This was our favorite meal in Cusco. All locals. Very cheap and great food. I had to ask around but we finally found it. About 2-3 blocks off main square in Cusco.