Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Peru, Ecuador, Boliva!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/peru-ecuador-boliva-1089739/)

Mlhduck Mar 14th, 2016 01:42 PM

Peru, Ecuador, Boliva!!

Hi all! I am planning a possibly 6 week trip to Peru and Ecuador/Galapagos Islands with maybe throwing in Bolivia! I have a friend who will be joining me in Peru as we are doing the Salkantay 5d/4n trek and planning to spend two-three days on both sides of the trek between Cusco and Lima, otherwise the rest will be solo travel!

I understand I won't be able to see and do everything between three countries in six weeks but if I have to limit it to just two, then I'd pry choose Ecuador and Peru. But my questions are:
- Is it relatively safe in Ecuador and Bolivia for a solo female traveler?
- I've been reading most people say Lima isn't there favorite and don't need to spend a lot of time there... true or false?
- 5-7 days in Galapagos enough?
- Main question:** What is the best way to get around from these countries as far as starting points, which I think will be the MP trek (Peru) and where to go from there?
- How awful are the borders and do I need to get Visas in advance for Ecuador and Bolivia?

Thanks so much! *Of course any and all other useful tips are welcomed* :)

Mlhduck Mar 14th, 2016 01:43 PM

Meant to add... This will be this coming May til mid June!

crellston Mar 14th, 2016 02:35 PM

A few thoughts:

Ecuador and Peru are certainly easier to travel around but Bolivia is arguably more spectacular.

Safe for a solo female traveller. I am neither solo nor female but I would say yes, reasonably safe, as long as you take the usual precautions, especially in the cities. Read up on the usual travel warnings before you go.

I used to say Lima wasn't my favourite place but in our last time on Peru, we stayed a month and I loved it! In the context of the time you have 2-3 days would suffice, if only in transit, it is worth a couple of nights for to see the sights and definitely for the FOOD

Best way to get around? In country flights are cheap. Between countries, very expensive. The buses in Peru are quite luxurious, efficient and cheap. In Ecuador they are just cheap! Some flights are advisable; Lima - Cusco is 25 hours by bus and $30, by air $90 and 1.5 hours.

We found the borders to be generally OK in most places although we did have a few problems at La Balsa in the highlands between Ecuador and Peru. Again, read up on travel warnings and be prepared for the usual scams etc. There are ways to make it relatively painless.

Can't answer re visas without knowing your nationality. I am a UK citizen and didn't need visas anywhere in SA.

Some more info photos etc. on the route we took back in 2013 on our blog http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...ai/6/tpod.html

We are back that way in May. Who knows we may bump into you!

With 6 weeks in SA it may be worth your while joining http://saexplorers.org some useful info at the clubhouses and the discounts should more than cover the cost of membership.

Have fun. It is a wonderful part of the world!

Mlhduck Mar 14th, 2016 03:44 PM

Thanks so much! But I'll def look into it as I haven't come across that yet! But for the record... Will be traveling from the U.S.A!

dwdvagamundo Mar 16th, 2016 08:01 AM

First, you could easily spend all your time in Peru.

Second, I would budget at least three full days for Lima. There are some world-class archaeological museums, a wonderful Plaza de Armas (central plaza) with colonial architecture, a Spanish-era fort in Callao, a lively entertainment district in Barrancas, a pre-Inca and Inca ruin near there to explore (Pachacamac).

Third, as to safety: I have a couple of female friends who have toured Peru solo, and a very good Peruvian friend who has travelled extensively there and in Europe. In general, it's safe-or it was the last times they went there, around ten years ago. I'd say the biggest thing to watch out for--other than the things that you would avoid in any US city--is the "friendly stranger" of whatever sex. In particular, do not accept any food or drink from a stranger--and by "stranger" I mean anyone you've met on the trip--and watch your drink at all times. This is true not only for Peru but, unfortunately, for Europe and the US as well. I note above that you will have a friend with you in at least part of Peru, but this advice goes for two people travelling together: I recall reading some time ago about a group of young German males in Cusco who met a friendly stranger, made the round of bars with him, and woke up the next morning without any of their possessions.

Also be careful of altitude sickness in the mountains and protect against the sun, which is very strong.

I've no experience with the borders, as I've spent all my time in Peru, but don't think you need any visas in that part of SA.

!Buen viaje!